Chapter 35

Featherdrip sighed and rolled over in her new nest inside of the leaders' den. She felt like she wasn't ready to become the new leader of Driftclan. It upset Featherdrip that she had to look at the past leader of Driftclan from a unique perspective. Under the sand by the Ocean Side. They had buried Shellstar next to where Blizzardfluff and Icejaw were. Shellstar was closer to the ocean, though, because of him having a significant interest in it. Will I even be able to go to the Ocean Side without tearing up? She thought, I loved him so much... Featherdrip nearly cried at the thought of him. Even if she didn't show it much, she wanted to be mates with Shellstar. The soon to be leader of Driftclan sighed once more as she looked outside of the den. No sign of Thistlewhisper yet... Featherdrip still wasn't sure if she was ready or not. She then heard paw steps enter the den and looked up to see the Driftclan medicine cat, Thistlewhisper. "Are you ready to go?" she meowed.

Featherdrip hesitated for a bit before answering. "Yes, I'm ready."

"Great! Let's go then." Thistlewhisper padded out of the leaders' den.

Featherdrip got up and followed the medicine cat.

*

A while later, the two she-cats were at the Ocean Side. The water moved back and forth as they stood in front of it. "Lay down and lap some water up."

"Alright." she did so and lapped up the ocean water with her tongue, swallowing it. Featherdrip wrinkled her nose a little because of the water having a very salty taste. She then closed her eyes, as it felt like she couldn't move her body anymore. Why can't I move? the Driftclan cat thought as everything around her seemed to get darker.

Featherdrip's eyes shot open as she hopped up onto her paws, panting heavily as she looked around to see stars everywhere around her. She looked forward to see a ton of tiny stars that stretched across from what seemed like forever, just like the ocean. Featherdrip could still feel the warm feeling of the sand between her paws, but when she looked down at her paws, there were only tons of stars grouped together. "Kind of bright.." she meowed to herself.

"Shouldn't be too much of a bother, right?" she heard a familiar meow behind her. Featherdrip turned around to see the face of Blizzardfluff.

"Blizzardfluff?"

"Yep! Here to give you three out of your nine new lives!" she meowed with a wide smile.

"Oh! Well, uh. Okay then!" Featherdrip smiled.

Blizzardfluff padded up to Featherdrip and placed her nose on the top of her head. "With these three lives, I give you certainty, faith, and forgiveness. Use them well to believe in your clan." she meowed and stepped back so another cat could pad up to her. It was Otterpelt.

"Hi, Featherdrip!" she meowed happily.

"Hello, Otterpelt, it's great to see you again!" Featherdrip happily meowed back.

"I hope you're doing well! And Driftclan too!"

"Don't worry, everything is well!"

Otterpelt smiled as she placed her nose on Featherdrip's head. "With these three lives, I give you protection, resilience, and endurance. Use them well to defend your clan from all danger." the past medicine cat meowed and stepped back. Featherdrip's eyes widened in surprise as she saw who padded up to her next.

Shellstar... she thought.

"Hello, Featherdrip." Shellstar meowed and smiled.

"I... I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you... I could've stayed I-"

Shellstar cut her off by placing his nose on Featherdrip's head. "With these three lives, I give you strength, instincts, and courage. Use them well to lead your clan." Shellstar meowed.

Featherdrip stopped herself from tearing up and crying.

Shellstar stepped back a little. "I hail you by your new name, Featherstar. Your old life is no more. You have now received the nine lives of a leader, and Starclan grants you the guardianship of Driftclan. Defend it well; care for the young and old; honor your ancestors and the traditions of the warrior code; live each life with pride and dignity."

Featherstar nodded, tears now falling from her eyes.

"Featherstar! Featherstar! Featherstar!" the three cats cheered.

"You'll do great." Shellstar meowed and smiled. "I'll be watching over you, Featherstar," he was fading away.

A few heartbeats later, everything around Featherstar went dark. She soon woke up, still laying on the sands of the Ocean Side. "Ready to head back, Featherstar?" Thistlewhisper mewed.

Featherstar stood up and nodded, tears still falling. "Yes, I am."

*

Once the new Driftclan leader and the medicine cat padded into the camp, Featherstar padded over to the Tide Pool. "Cats of Driftclan, please gather around the Tide Pool for a clan meeting!" she yelled.

Featherstar watched as the clan came out from their dens or stopped what they were doing, and they padded over to the Tide Pool. Once the group seemed large enough, Featherstar continued to speak. "I, Featherstar, shall appoint a new deputy!" she yelled.

There were some gasps.

"The new deputy of Driftclan is Sandcoat!" she yowled.

Every cat looked over to the cream and grey-furred tom as he padded up in front of the crowd. "I will do my best as the new deputy of Driftclan." he meowed.

"Sandcoat! Sandcoat! Sandcoat!" Driftclan cheered.

Featherstar smiled as her clan cheered for the new deputy. She was now feeling better about being the new leader of Driftclan.

*

Fang sat in a nest in the Driftclan Nursery. Eclipse was resting on one side of her and Ripplewave on the other. "How's clan life for you so far?" Ripplewave asked.

"It's alright, it would be better if I didn't have this litter in my belly!" she meowed back and sighed.

Ripplewave chuckled. "Tell me about it! My belly is way bigger than yours. I'm surprised I haven't kitted at this point!"

Both she-cats giggled. Fang thought living in a clan would be terrible, but it wasn't at all for her. "Hey!" there was a meow that was coming from outside the Nursery. Both Fang and Ripplewave looked up to see Mistfall pad in with a wide smile on his face.

"Hello, Mistfall!" Fang mewed.

"Hi." Ripplewave said.

"You doing alright?" Mistfall padded over to Fang and sniffed, then nuzzled her.

"Yes, yes. I'm fine." she meowed.

"Good!"

"You know, you don't have to check on me every two seconds-" Fang then started wincing in pain. She nearly wanted to screech.

"Mistfall, go get Thistlewhisper!" Ripplewave yelled.

Mistfall already left to get the medicine cat.

*

A while later, after some yelling and some stick chomping, Fang kitted two healthy kits. One tom and one she-cat. "I want you to name one and I name the other, Mistfall. How do you clan cats name them?" Fang mewed.

"Well, here, I'll name the she-cat!" he meowed.

"Okay!"

"I'll name her Morningkit!" Mistfall said with a wide smile.

"That's a wonderful name!" Fang replied.

"What will you name him?" he pointed his tail at the mewling tom-kit.

Fang thought for a while, still confused. But she then smiled once she came up with a name. "I'll name him..."

"Shadowkit." she meowed.

"I love it!" Mistfall meowed back and nuzzled his mate.

I'll protect the three of you for as long as I live. Fang thought and purred.