Chapter 1

Skystar didn't know how to feel about his clan like Birdstar did. Ever since Shredflash killed Blacksting and ran away, some cats feel frightened and worried about the future of Vertexclan. The medicine cat of Vertexclan, Nova, had told Skystar that Shredflash went to Driftclan and killed a warrior named Icejaw. Because of Nova telling him this, Skystar has been anxious that Driftclan itself would want to get revenge for their fallen warrior. Well, according to our two small patrols, there have been no scents of Driftclan cats around the territory. So that is good, I guess... Skystar thought and sighed, and then he rolled over in what used to be Birdstar's nest. "Hey, Skystar. You awake?" It was the meow of a certain tom coming from the entrance of his den.

It was Buzzardgaze, the cat Skystar chose as the new Vertexclan deputy.

Skystar looked up at his deputy. "Yes, I am. Did you and Smokedream recheck the borders?"

Buzzardgaze nodded. "Yep, no scent of Driftclan still!" He gave a smile as his tail lashed.

"Good, you may go rest if you wish."

"Okay!" Buzzardgaze would leave Skystar's den, but he turned around. "Hey, Skystar?"

Skystar looked up again. "Yes?"

"Are you doing okay? A lot has happened, and I feel like it's all getting thrown on you. I just want to make sure you are alright." He meowed.

It surprised the Vertexclan leader at how much his clanmate cared for him. "U-Uh, of course! I am perfectly fine. Thank you for asking." He meowed back and gave a slight smile.

"Okay! See you later, then!" Buzzardgaze turned back around and left the den.

Skystar sighed. Buzzardgaze would make for a magnificent Vertexclan leader one day. Skystar didn't feel like he was doing a good job, even though he's only been a leader for two moons. Should I have a patrol look for Shredflash? No... That's too dangerous... The Vertexclan leader heaved another sigh and laid his head back down. He needed some more time to think.

*

"I'm an evil Driftclan cat! And I will get you!" It was a small mew from a grey she-kit as she gave a playful growl towards a cream and fawn tom.

"Not if I have anything to do about it, fish-breath!" The tom-kit growled and crouched a bit.

"Come here!" she pounced onto him as they wrestled with each other.

As they continued playing their minor game, another she-kit with golden fur looked at the other two kits playing and then quickly nuzzled back against her mother's belly. The grey she-kit got up and looked over. "Scorchwatcher, I want Marigoldkit to play with us!" she mewed.

Scorchwatcher looked down at her kit against her belly. Marigoldkit was shaking a bit. "Do you want to play with Emberkit and Lionkit?" She licked Marigoldkit's head.

Marigoldkit looked up at her mother and then whiffed her head no.

"Aw, come on! Why? It's super fun!" Lionkit mewed as he padded closer to Marigoldkit.

"Yeah!" Emberkit added.

"Lionkit, Emberkit. If your sister does not want to play, then there is no reason to force her. How about you go play with Lightningkit and Rainkit?" Scorchwatcher meowed.

Lightningkit and Rainkit were laying next to their mother, Cloudthorn. The two tom-kits got up as they heard their names. "Cloudthorn, can we play with them?" It was Lightningkit who spoke up.

"Yes, you both can." She meowed and licked her fur.

"Yay!" Lightningkit exclaimed as he and Rainkit padded over to Lionkit and Emberkit.

"Aw, but you two are weird and look the same!" Emberkit mewed.

"Emberkit! Be nice!" Scorchwatcher said.

"We are not! Isn't that right Rainkit?" Lightningkit mewed to his brother.

Rainkit only shrugged.

"Fine, you two can play with us, but you can be the Driftclan cats!" Emberkit said.

"Okay!" Lightningkit replied.

"How about you four play right outside the Nursery?" Cloudthorn suggested.

"Good idea!" Lionkit and Emberkit mewed in unison and ran out of the Nursery. Lightningkit and Rainkit followed behind.

"Don't play too rough!" Scorchwatcher called, then the four kits ran outside.

Marigoldkit looked up again and watched as the other kits left the Nursery. She felt safer and warmer by her mother's side.