Chapter 27

Lionstrike was padding behind Emberfoot. He was enjoying this patrol. As he continued to make his way down the path with the group, something popped into his head. He could see what looked like a certain she-cat in his head.

I have to go see her again! Lionstrike thought, then looked around quickly. He snuck with no other cat noticing.

And he did.

Once they were off of the steep part of the path, Lionstrike silently padded away from the group. They were too busy speaking to each other about being warriors, so that removed any attention that Lionstrike had. I hope she feels it too... the Vertexclan warrior thought as he padded through many bushes so he could get to their meeting spot.

*

A while later, Lionstrike was back in the forest between Vertexclan and Driftclan. He was looking around, hoping that the she-cat would appear. Maybe she's not coming... Lionstrike thought as he continued looking until he looked to his left to see who he'd been looking for.

"Ripplepaw!" he yelled.

"It's Ripplewave now!" she yelled back, running up to Lionstrike and nuzzling him.

"Outstanding! I'm Lionstrike now!" he puffed out his chest as he nuzzled her back and then licked her cheek.

"Your name is pleasant!" Ripplewave purred.

"It's alright, yours is super cool though! I love it!" Lionstrike gave her another lick on the cheek and touched muzzles with her.

"Aw, thanks!" she meowed back, purring louder now.

"No problem! Now I can ask something since we're warriors now..." Lionstrike mewed.

"And what's that?"

"Ripplewave, will you be my mate?" the Vertexclan tom meowed with a serious look on his face.

Ripplewave stood there, shocked at what Lionstrike had asked her. She knew he would ask, but she didn't think he would ask her this soon!

"I've been waiting so long to become mates with you. Ever since I met you as an apprentice, I've wanted to be with you and even have kits with you." he meowed.

"Lionstrike..." she started.

"Yes?"

"I will be your mate!" she touched muzzles with him and purred even louder than she ever has in her life.

"Oh, Ripplewave. I'm so happy!" he purred, and they touched muzzles.

"I am too, Lionstrike!"

We'll be with each other forever, and I'll make sure of it! Lionstrike thought.

*

"Marigoldpaw!"

"Huh?"

Nova was pacing in front of her apprentice in the medicine den again with a wide smile across her face. "Are you ready to become a medicine cat?" she meowed, stopping to look at Marigoldpaw, the wide smile still there.

The medicine cat apprentice nodded, giving Nova a worried look.

"Oops! Am I doing it again?" Nova backed up a little.

Marigoldpaw nodded.

"S-Sorry! Excited..." she meowed back to her apprentice.

"It's okay, Nova." Marigoldpaw said.

Nova smiled. "Alright! Let's get going to the Ocean Side then!"

"Are we getting Thistlewhisper?"

"Of course!"

Marigoldpaw and Nova both headed out of the Medicine den and padded over to the entrance of the camp. Before they could head out though, Marigoldpaw could hear pawsteps behind her. So she turned around to be greeted by the face of Rainpad. "Oh... Hello, Rainpad!" she meowed.

"Hi." he meowed back.

Marigoldpaw's eyes widened. Did Rainpad just speak?!

Nova turned around. "Who was that Marigoldpaw-" the Vertexclan medicine cat's eyes widened as well at who was in front of her.

"Can I speak to you when you come back?" his meow was deep and soothing.

Marigoldpaw blushed. "S-Sure!" she meowed back.

Rainpad smile and padded off towards the fresh-kill pile.

Marigoldpaw turned to face Nova, who was just as astonished as she was. Nova then shook her head, "Let's just go!"

The golden furred apprentice nodded and followed Nova out of Vertexclan camp.

*

After they went to Driftclan and got Thistlewhisper, they padded down to the Ocean Side, which wasn't far now.

"Are you excited to become a medicine cat, Marigoldpaw?" Thistlewhisper asked.

Marigoldpaw nodded. I am, but I'm still shocked Rainpad spoke... And to me of all cats! She thought, blushing at the sound of his meow in her head.

"We're here!" Nova said as she stopped in front of the Ocean Side, Marigoldpaw and Thistlewhisper padding up next to her.

"Are you ready, Marigoldpaw?" Nova asked her apprentice and smiled.

"Yes." she meowed back.

Nova nearly squealed with excitement. "Alright!" she started, looking up at the sky. "I, Nova, medicine cat of Vertexclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help, she will serve her clan for many moons." she meowed.

She looked back at Marigoldpaw. "Marigoldpaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of the medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?" Nova asked.

"I do." Marigoldpaw meowed back.

"Then by the powers of Starclan, I give you your true name of a medicine cat. Marigoldpaw, from this moment, you will be known as Marigoldfur. Starclan honors your bravery, and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of Vertexclan!" Nova meowed. This time she hopped around like a kit.

"Marigoldfur! Marigoldfur! Marigoldfur!" Nova and Thistlewhisper cheered.

Marigoldfur smiled. She was happy and proud to be a medicine cat.

"I've wanted to do that for so long!" Nova mewed.

"Congratulations, Marigoldfur! You'll be a great medicine cat for Vertexclan!" Thistlewhisper meowed to her.

"Thanks!" Marigoldfur meowed back and purred.

"Let's get back now before Skystar gets worried!" Nova meowed.

"Alright."

"Well, I'll be seeing you two soon, then! Hopefully!" Thistlewhisper padded back towards Driftclan.

"Goodbye, Thistlewhisper!" Nova yelled.

Marigoldfur still smiled, but her smile soon faded as she remembered what Rainpad had said to her.

"Come on, Marigoldfur!" Nova headed back to Vertexclan.

Marigoldfur quickly followed. She looked down at her paws for a little while.

What could Rainpad possibly want to talk about? She thought and pulled her head up, sighing.

"Something wrong?" Nova asked, then looked over at the new medicine cat.

Marigoldfur shook her head. "No, Nova." she meowed.

"Nothing at all."