A Possible Friend

Sal POV

"Sally, why don't you go explore the apartments? Your Mom and I are fine here." Dad suggests.

"Alright,..." I mumble.

I head out, running into the kids. Megan was still among them. I looked over the kids. There were three brunettes, all girls, that looked identical. With them was a dark-haired girl who had striking green eyes. They all seemed to be playing a game of tag in the halls. I walk to the apartment beside us, 401. Loud music played from inside. I knock, but no one answers, obviously the music was too loud. I then walk past our apartment to 403. A woman with green hair and a man with ginger hair stand in the doorway, obviously the ones watching over the kids as the woman calls out to them:

"Megan, honey, you need to get back home. It's almost lunch. Neveah, Lily, Amy, Jennifer, you need to head back too."

The kids groan, but head to their respective apartments. The brunettes go to 404 while Megan and the dark-haired girl seemed to be going to the 5th floor. I wave to the couple in the doorway.

"Hello. You must be the one from 402." The man says kindly. Obviously, he thought I was a lot younger than I am. "I'm Herman and this is my wife Sandy."

"I'm Sal." I say softly.

"Nice to meet you." Sandy smiles at me.

"I'll see you around." I murmur, going past them to the apartment where the brunettes disappeared.

"Have a nice day." Herman says.

They enter their apartment as I knock on 404. A disheveled woman with brown hair opens the door.

"Yes?"

"Hi. I'm new. I was just going to introduce myself to the neighbors." I say. "But if you're busy, I'll leave."

"No, no. It's fine, dear. I'm Christine." She says, smiling tiredly.

"Sal." I reply, shaking her hand.

"Mom, Lily and Jen are fighting again." A girl around my age walks into the room behind Christine.

"I'll stop them. Why don't you introduce yourself the the new neighbor?" Christine says, walking into the kitchen, where two young girls could be heard fighting.

"You're the new neighbor? Aren't you a bit young to be living on your own?" The girl asks.

"I live with my parents." I retort. "I'm Sal."

"Annabelle." She replies, leaning against the door frame. "You know, that mask of yours is pretty metal."

"It's a prothstetic, but thanks." I reply.

"You seem like a cool guy. We should totally hang out when school starts. I could introduce you to my friends. A few of them live here in the apartments, actually." Annabelle rambles.

"That would be great." I say, smiling although she couldn't see it.

Zara POV

I shuffle around the kitchen. My step-mom, Carol, busily works with the oven. I pull out some of the ingredients she asked me to grab. I wonder if Annabelle had met the new tenants. I couldn't tell if the kid was a guy of a girl. I needed to know or it would drive me crazy. I hated not knowing names, ages, genders, etc. of the people in the apartments. I didn't want to misgender or misname anyone. It was a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock.

"Go get that." Carol snaps.

I walk over to the door. I open it to see none other then the new tenant. Their mask was white and pink now that I was looking at it.

"Hi." I say.

"Hi. I'm Sal. I live up on the 4th floor." They say.

Their voice was deep, not really deep like my dad or Robert's, but it was deep like a boy entering puberty's. But they had pigtails like a girl. It was so confusing.

"Zara." I reply. "I live here in 304, obviously."

Sal's blue eyes crinkle, like he was smiling. "Nice to meet you. I actually met Annabelle and she said you were a pretty cool person so I decided I just had to meet you."

I smile a bit. "I've been hearing about you guys moving for awhile now."

"Zara." Carol says sharply. I stiffen. She was directly behind me. "Hi. I'm Carol."

"Sal." Sal shakes her hand.

"If you'll excuse us, we need to finish up with lunch. My husband will be back soon and I'd like to have it done by tbd time he's back."

"Of course." Sal nods. "I'll see you guys around.

I nod and shut the door. Carol walks to the kitchen and I follow her. Sal seemed nice. I wouldn't mind hanging around him,... her,... them,...