Found Friends

This is a couple weeks into school because I don't like writing first days of school

Sal POV

Light filtered through my partially open curtain. Today, I had school and the sun was making sure I wouldn't miss out. I groan and roll out of bed. I slowly stand up.

"Fuck you, sun."

I stumble out into the kitchen/dining room. Mom was cooking something in the kitchenette. I sit down.

"Hope you don't mind bacon today, Sal." Mom says as she cooks.

"I don't mind." I reply.

I wait patiently for her to finish. I hear the master bedroom door open and my dad comes out into the kitchen/dining room/living room. He comes to sit beside me.

"Hey, Dad." I say softly.

"Hey, son." He glances at the clock we have mounted on the wall. "If you'd like, I can take you to school today."

"No thanks, Dad. I'm gonna walk with my friends today."

He nods. Mom sets food down in front of us. I pick up my fork and begin to eat. After I had finished, I go into my room to change. After a bit of thought, I chose something I hadn't worn in awhile. And why not wear it now before it got too cold.

Larry POV

I exit the building to see Zara and Todd talking beside the handicap parking. I walk over to them.

"...and if you use that way, it will result in decimals or fractions, do I advise using the first method I showed you." Todd was saying.

"Z still having trouble with math?" I ask, walking up to them.

"Yeah." Zara sighs.

I stand beside them and look towards the 4th floor. "Anyone seen Sally Face and Annie?"

"No." Both reply.

Just as they say that, Sal and Annabelle exit the apartments. Annabelle flounces over and begins to talk animatedly about how her younger sisters had begun to show an interest in art. But I wasn't paying attention to her. My eyes were immediately drawn to Sal. He was wearing a black and red skirt with a short sleeve black t-shirt and a pair of black thigh-high socks. I feel my face flush as he walks over.

"Hey." He says.

"Hey, Sal." I reply.

"Hi, Sal." Zara says. "Cute outfit."

"Thanks." I could see Sal's eyes crinkle, a sign that he was smiling widely.

"Now that we are all here, we should get going." Todd says abruptly.

"Good idea. We don't want to be late AGAIN." Sal says.

"That was one time and I needed some cigarettes." I say defensively.

We all laugh and make out way to school.

Sal POV

I sit in math, playing with my hair, which I had left down for today. I was bored to say the least. We had a test today in math even though we had just started the school year. I had finished my test and was currently doodling in my journal. Just a bunch of stick figures, nothing big. I wasn't much of an artist.

"Mr. Fisher." I look up to see Mrs. Packerton, the math teacher standing in front of my desk. "That doesn't look much like math."

A few students snicker and laugh.

"I finished my test." I reply

"Why didn't you hand it in?"

"You never said to bring it to you."

Packerton narrows her eyes at me. I hand her my test and she walks off. I go back to doodling when I feel a pair of eyes on me. I glance up just as Packerton snaps:

"Mr. Phelps, eyes on your own paper!"

I watch Travis turn away from glaring at me. I look back to my journal. My stick figures seemed to be having some sort of battle, but I don't remember why.

~

I slide onto the bench next to Larry. I brush my hair away from my eyes as I pull out my lunch. I look up at my friends, who were all chatting about random stuff.

"...witch gave me so much homework!" Larry complains.

"Mrs. Packerton isn't a witch!" Ash says. "She's a demon."

"True." Larry nods.

"She only gave you homework because you slack off, Lar." I interject.

"Screw you too, Sally."

I smile beneath my prothstetic.