Part 19

I decided to get up and follow him into the other room. There was another space with a couch and some chairs.

"So what are you still doing here if you want to leave?" He was harsh. No emotion in his words. I wasn't going to give in on this. He was just annoyed. That must be why he was behaving like a child. It wasn't going to end lik this. Specially not after I did all of that for him. 

"We have something to talk about." I sat myself down in a chair that stood far from the window. The place was clean. Untouched. This place must have been locked. Or everyone knew they weren't welcome here. There was a pile of books before me on a table. I couldn't imagine him reading those. They were far too big for someone like him to love.

"Like what?" He hissed between his teeth. He was still annoyed. It was funny how he was on edge. I didn't know why I thought it was funny. It just was. 

"I see how it is." I whispered to myself, but loud enough for him to hear. "I'll let myself out." My feet dragged me to the door I just went through. Before I closed the door I turned around. He was standing with his back to me. Still. I could see the muscles in his back stretch as I spoke the words.

"Don't worry. I won't talk to you at work about all this." I rushed myself out of the room. Straight to the elevator. There was so much I wanted to say to him. To ask him. About why he picked me. About why he would lie to his only friends. I wanted to stay there and I had no clue why. Every bone in my body begged me to go back inside. Ask all the things I wanted. I waited by the elevator doors. I hadn't even pressed the button to go down. My veins turned to ice. Goosebumps stood on my arms in seconds. The loudest crashing sound echoed through the empty apartment. I rushed back to the room I had left behind. Oakley. He had to be alright.

The room was a mess. The table was tipped. The couch was inches away from where it had stood. The chair I had sat in was gone. Oakley was with his back to me. His arm reached back and was pushed in the air as hard as he could. But he didn't ended up hitting the air. The window before him screamed in protest. The glass pieces flew everywhere. I rushed to him. My hand reached for his shoulder.

"Oakley. What happened?" I surprised myself by how soft my voice came out. He didn't react to my words. He did react to my hand touching his shoulder.

"I thought you left."