Morning Jog

It was the same morning as my everyday life has been. The same cold air yet refreshing that I breathe in in the morning. The rising sun that slowly presents itself as the world rotates in its orbital. Chirping birds that are on their way to search food for their starving family. Just a simple and harmonious morning.

As always, on Saturday morning, I would wake up a bit earlier than any other days in a week to take a stroll around my residential area. It's not like I do this routine for any particular reason. After spending one month living with my brother and his family around the district, I realized that I rarely appreciated the nature around me as much as I do before becoming a university student. As a student of the Health Department at Kansei University, I've been busying myself with study. I am not a loner, don't misunderstand the word 'study'. It's just I don't have the term of PIC (Partner In Crime) since moving here. Living in a completely new place with new peoples, I haven't found any person that can pair with myself. Sure, I have classmates and all but that's it. Nothing exciting ever happened in my life so far. My old friends in my hometown? Been ages since we contact each other.

Shaking off my thoughts, I slip on my sport shoe which I rarely used in the past years and tie it tightly. Standing straight, I tap my toes on the wooden floor while making sure my feet are feeling comfortable enough. I glance at the sports watch that wraps firmly on my wrist.

"5:00 a.m. I may be back around 5:30...Yosh,maybe I should go jog around the park then go straight home", I mumble my instant made-up schedule in my head. Opening the front door and about to close it back, my brother's voice stopped me.

"Going out for a jog again?Well, just don't forget your way back home", he recalled while blowing his hot coffee. As usual, he wakes up early to prepare for his store. I roll my eyes at his reminder.

"I will not. Anyway, I don't bring my phone with me so...don't bother to call me, bye", I said then shut the door to begin my morning journey. Katsuta sighs with a smile.

"That girl...never changed since high school. Health is top priority huhh...", he let out a chuckle.

🍃

"Huff...huff...", every breath I exhale matches with the rhythm of my steps. Blood in my body is pumping from my heart throughout the blood vessels. I could practically hear my heart beating constantly in my ear. The cold morning air caresses my hot,sweating face. The silent morning at the park only fills with the sound of shoes stepping on the pavement, creating a steady beat. Everything is simply perfect. Just like the way I wanted it to be.

Is that what you really want?

My eyebrows twitch at the thought.

You have something you really want

My pace became faster.

You have no spark

My eyes shut. Lowering my head, I sprint through the way without any awareness of my surrounding. I run and run as if I can escape my own mind.

"...Hey..!", a faint voice called out but I'm too occupied in my own arguments and it's not like I am someone familiar in this area. "..Hey! Watch out!", the same voice now becomes clear in my head and I know for sure that this person is definitely calling out to me. My eyes snapped open immediately and I was greeted with a pair of eyes...dog's eyes?!!

"Arf!"

"Wha-!", the flying mid-air dog flatly landed on my face. "-Oomph!", the fluffy cream-coloured fur of the dog stomach covered my face perfectly. Losing my balance, I fall on my butt. The dog bounced onto my stomach.