Chapter 25

KL RAHUL

I had taken a shower and sat on the bed thinking about the fact that in the next three months we were going to complete our one-year anniversary. Neha came and sat next to me.

"Hey, what are you thinking about?"

"Our relationship."

"What about it?"

"Our one-year anniversary is coming up."

"Well you're right. We'll do something special that day don't worry." I chuckled.

"Neha, Rahul come down for dinner." Her mom yelled from downstairs.

"Coming mom." Neha yelled back.

"Let's go hun" I say and kiss her cheek.

***

"What's for dinner mom?" Neha asked.

"Butter chicken with roti." Her mom replied while setting up the table.

"Ooh la la. That's cool." Neha said and we laughed.

Neha's parents sat on the right side of the table and me and Neha sat opposite to them.

"Let's say 'Grace'." Her mom said and we all held hands.

"Thank you God for this food we're about to receive and for the nourishment of our body and bless the hands that prepare it." Her mom says.

"So Rahul, how long have you guys been dating?" Her dad questions me.

"Nine months so far." I take a bite of the food that her mom prepared and truly it was amazing. Hardik wasn't joking her mom does make the best food.

"Ashley, this food is amazing."

"Thanks, hun."

"So Ashley how was Neha as a kid or a teenager?" I asked smirking and Neha begged her mom to not say anything but her mom told me about it anyways.

"She was this really hyperactive kid. I would avoid giving her energy drinks," we laughed,"Anyways so there was this time when she was eight I guess. She was fuming with anger because one of her teachers punished her for talking, although she wasn't the one talking. At that time I had taught her a bit of french while she was growing up. I didn't teach her cuss words though. She straight away said it on her teacher's face and walked out of the class. When she stood outside her class she mimicked the teacher and one of the other teachers saw her do this. So they reported her to the principal. When she was alone in the room the principal asked her to mimick the teacher again. This time when she did it, the principal laughed and gave her some candy. Apparently even he didn't like the teacher who she was mimicking. The principal even put her in the school's drama club."

We had a good laugh at this and Neha whined.

"If you ask me as a teenager I'd say she was way more wild and bold. She still is," I smiled at Ashley's words,"She was held in detention for two weeks because her gang had started a food fight in the cafeteria. I had grounded her for that but she snuck outside the house that night with Luke for a party. I didn't know about this until a few years back."

I could sense the tension in the air and Neha was frowning so I decided to change the topic.

"How did you guys meet?" I asked Ashley as I ate my last morsel of food.

"Ohh, that's an interesting story," she said and I smiled,"You see her dad is a physicist and I'm a language professor. We bumped into each other on our first day at Hollis and then he asked me out and we started dating. After two years I got engaged and a year after that I got married. Neha was born the year after that."

"That's sweet." I commented.

"Rahul I think you and Neha look really cute together. There's no one better than you sweetie. Don't you agree, Rajesh?"

"As a matter of fact I do. I haven't seen her this happy in so long."
Her dad told me.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I got her dad's approval. I did my happy dance in my mind.

"I am really glad you think I am good enough for your daughter." I replied.

"Of course you are sweetie." Her mom replied and Neha gave me a smug look.

We spent the rest of the night eating brownies and playing dumb charades. Virat was going to kill me if he found out that I had so many cheat days. Soon, tired by the events of the day me and Neha drifted into a peaceful sleep.