The Road to Fish Fry

It was dead silent pulling up to Damario's building.
"It was good talking to you," Jaquez tells me.
"Yeah, thanks for the ride again."
"At least you won't get rained on heading up."
"Yeah, thank goodness for that."
I hop out then turn to him.
"See you around."
He nods.
"Tell Damario I said 'hi'."
I nod and close the door.

The rain had stopped and the sun was trying to come out. It was time to make our way to Section 3. The thought of Section 3 reminded me of the conversation Jaquez and I had in the car.

"Y'all moving out there?"
"Yeah, Alex wants to go so of course I'm going to tag along."
"Y'all will love it there, it's so peaceful, just make sure you move up north."
"Alex was telling me that. You've been there?"
"I'm from there," I tell him.
"Oh shit, that's what's up. I'll let Alex know that."
"I'm actually heading down that way with Damario right now."
"Really?"
"Yeah, my family's down there. I'm telling you, it's nice down there. I don't have plans of moving back down there any time soon, I just got here and I love my job." Jaquez was nodding his head. "But y'all will probably love it."
"He's been there and really likes it. Thank you, though, I'm definitely anticipating it more now."

Before I could go into D's apartment I had to stop and think. Shit. What was I going to tell him? It shouldn't matter because we both know I'm seeing Tahj, but at the same time I've been giving mixed signals. I exhaled.

The first thing I see walking in was KJ packing up his stuff. He sees me.
"I guess y'all finally about to bounce now. Well have a good trip, see y'all niggas when y'all get back."

I pay him no mind and walk into the kitchen. No sign of D. I head for his bedroom and find him laying on his bed fully clothed, in the dark.

"What the hell you doing?"
He opens his eyes and looks over at me.
"Waiting for yo ass," he says while closing his eyes again.
"I'm here now, let's go."
"Shit don't revolve around you, I'm meditating."
I rolled my eyes and chuckled.
"How's Tahj?" He asks and I almost flinch at the mention of him.
"Uh," I freeze up for whatever reason. D notices my hesitation and opens his eyes looking fully at me as he swings his legs to the side of the bed.
"Uh as in good or uh as in bad?" He asks me and I can't read him.
"I guess things are good," I mutter.
He slowly looks from me to the clock on the side of his bed. He then looks down and blows out a light sounding laugh, it's quick. I didn't like the sound. He looks back at me.
"I'm going to put my things in the car," he says, reaches over to grab his duffel bag then backpack. He stands up and walks past me.
Shit. He probably has an idea as to what could have taken me so long. I really didn't want this trip to be awkward. I head to the bathroom for a quick shower before putting on fresh clothes.

I put my bags in the trunk then climb into the passenger seat.
"Jaquez says 'hi'."
His eyebrows shoot up.
"Dang, you went to see everybody this afternoon."
I chuckled.
"He seen me walking back to your place and offered me a ride. Him and Alex or Cruz plan on moving there."
D nods but I turn to him right before he starts to pull off.
"How's your family? Do they still live up here?"
"Yeah, there really isn't anyone for me to visit down south."
"Besides mom, dad and Derek."
"Yuuuuuuup," he smiles and I find myself smiling back at his profile.

D started playing Blood Orange's "Negro Swan" and we silently listened to that on our way down...... then we made it to Section 2.

D lowered the music down some as he got a look around.
"I hate this place."
"Don't talk so loud, it might hear you," I say. He laughs.
"Well, shit, I think you might be onto something, Les."

The place was eerie. It was foggy and the streets were empty. We rode slowly past a cemetery where a lot of people were silently gathered and some looked to be crying.

"Someone died," I say.
D drives by slower to get a better look.
"I don't think I've ever seen this many people at once in this place."
"There looks to be about 75 people, sheesh."
"Oh shit!"
The car braked so fast my head almost hit the dashboard instead I got choked out by the seatbelt.
"Shit, what happened?"

I opened my eyes and noticed the figure standing in front of the car. It was a young woman with long, black hair with a depressing expression on her face. I didn't like the way she looked at all. Her attire was all black and her skin was deadly pale.

"Lady, please just move," D muttered.
But she stood a little while longer just looking right at me. Eventually she slowly walked away and to the other side of the street. I was still trying to get my heart to slow down.

We made it through Section 2 which was when D put the music back up.
"If there was a way to get around that shit I would gladly take it."
"I don't blame you."
"Not looking forward to that shit on the way back," he shook his head sounding so frustrated.
"We're past it for now, D, think fish fry now."
He started cheesing.
"There we go," I say and he laughs.
"Damn, Les."
"What?"
"Is ya moms gonna talk about your old girl every second while we're here?"
I hadn't even thought of that.
"I don't know but I'll shut that shit right down."

We entered Section 3 and I'm not gonna lie, it kind of felt good being back.
"Damn, I haven't been here in a long time," D says.
I thought I would have to give him directions but I'm surprised when he starts going down the right streets. He must have noticed my silent awe.
"I ain't forget now, I was at your place almost every day."
That's true and yet I wonder.
"Did you know back then?"
D's silent, as if he was trying to understand and really think about my question.
"I think so."
My eyes turn into the size of saucers.
"At 10? Really?"
D starts to look confused.
"I think so, Les, like it's weird because when I met another boy and became fond of him I would really really be fond of him. I wonder if that was what that was. What about you?"
"I didn't know for sure until I was about 16."

D nods his head then the conversation is over, straight ahead was my old childhood home. My dad was outside taking out the garbage then watched D's car drive into his driveway. D honked the horn and a second later my mom came flying out the door.

"Leslie!" She shouted.
"Wow, black don't crack," D comments as he turns the ignition off.
I step out and my mom loses her mind.
"Leslie, oh baby!" She heads directly my way and I wrap my arms around her. I feel my dad's pat on my back.
"What? I don't get no love?"
My mom's head shoots up to take a look at D.
"Damario? Oh my—"
"You've gotten tall, boy," my dad says while making his way over to him. My mom follows and they both shower him with love.
"Where's Derek?" I ask.
"Inside."

I run inside like it's the old days and I'm 14 again. I head for the kitchen in the back. I could just sense him being back there. And sure enough my brotherly intuition was right. I immediately catch him off guard and hop on his back.

"What's good, broddie?" I say.
He laughs and starts swinging on me.
"Took you long enough, little bitch."
I duck and miss all his swings until he wraps his arms around me in a hug.
"You tired of that place yet?"
"Hell no," I tell him when I step back.
"You look clean though," he tells me.
"Thank you, thank you."
"Where your girl at?"
I swing on him and catch the back of his shoulder. He's laughing.
"I was expecting that from mom not you."
"I'm just playing."
I lean over to the stove.
"What you cooking?"
"Mind ya bidness."
"Answer the fucking question, nigga," I tell him through clenched teeth.
"Back up off me."
"Y'all stop playing by that stove," mom voices from outside the kitchen.
"Mom, Les hit me," Derek says.
A laugh shoots out loud and clear.
"Shut up!"
"Y'all two stop, now, it's only been 5 minutes. Y'all go somewhere, let me cook in peace."
"Dad, where the fish?" I ask.
My dad turns to me with a fake look of surprise and hurt.
"Is that all I am to you, Les? The fry man? That's only why you came back?"
"Pretty much," I say and everyone starts talking and laughing at once.