Do You Want to Get Married?

D got ready for the day then worked on loosening his twists.
"It's an out day huh?" I ask as I carefully go to touch his hair.
"Don't touch," he says.
I grab a couple of twists and pull.
"Ouch! Bitch!"
He slaps my hand away.
"Leave that boy alone, Les. First your brother and now Damario?"
"Mom, they'll be aiight, I'm not hurting them."
"Y'all get in here and eat this breakfast."

Damario stood up and pushed me down onto the couch. But I was quick to grab his shirt so he fell back down on top of me. We started laughing like two hyenas on the carpet floor.

"Good morning!" Derek announces from the stairs. "How'd everyone sleep?"
"Fabulously," D said while sprawled out on the carpet floor.
I got up from under him and went over to Derek.
"What you about to do today?" I asked him.
"Not sure yet."
"We're going hiking," dad announced from out of nowhere.
I spotted D's face scrunch up with a look of horror and disgust.
"I didn't bring those type of shoes," I said.
"No problem, I've got plenty of old pairs."
Even Derek looked unsure about this.

Tahj😘: having fun?
Me: was... until my dad started tlking bout hiking
Tahj😘: 🤣🤣🤣
Me: don't laugh at my pain 😒
Tahj😘: sry, but that doesn't sound like a vacay
Me: just pray that I don't get bit by anything
Tahj😘: 🙏🏾🤞🏾😘
Me: 😘😘

Not long after breakfast dad told all of us to get ready.
"Yo, ya dad tripping," D said.
We were all trying to find our "best" hiking clothes.
"I'm gonna have to agree, I don't remember him ever going hiking or taking us hiking."
"Must be a new thing."
"Derek!" I called
Sasha and the girls had long ago left to go shopping and whatnot. Derek stuck his head in.
"Since when does dad go hiking?"
"It must have been something he started when I wasn't around."
"And I haven't even been gone that long. How the hell he got multiple pairs of boots?"
Derek shrugged.

"Alright fellas, to the dirt path we go," dad said as he marched us outside and into his Jeep.
"They don't got cannibals on this dirt path do they Mr. Thompson?"
"Not that I know of."
D's eyes flew open.

The trail was near the water but the day was turning hot.
"I'm already beat just from getting out the car," D said.
"This is gonna be fun!" Dad announced. "I get to do my favorite pastime with my boys."
"Since when is this your favorite pastime, dad?" I asked.
"I used to hike all the time, Les, it was a secret. Every once in a while I used to leave out and I would just come here for about 30 minutes. You all probably thought I was in the bar somewhere. But nope. Now let's go!"
I rolled my eyes.

We began our walk and we were the only ones out there. And the grounds were no joke, within the first 15 minutes I almost sprained my ankle four times.
"You ain't hot, Mr. Thompson?"
"No, Damario."
"What?" D said more to himself then paused to wipe his forehead.

We continued on the path but that shit was becoming a challenge. It whined up and down, my dad had us climbing over boulders!
"I got love for you Mr. Thompson but this right here?" D panted. "This ain't it."
"I don't think it's that bad. Thanks dad for getting us out the house," Derek's quiet ass finally says.
D looked so confused.
"I wasn't even in the house long. Who's us?" He says.
"Hurry up boys, we're almost to the waterfall."
"The what?" D shouted.

We were below the waterfall looking up at it. The water spray felt so good.
"Alright, Mr. Thompson, this ain't so bad."
"I'mma chill out here for a minute, dad," I say and find a spot in the grass to sit.
"I guess we can rest for a couple."
Derek started taking pictures.
"Sasha would probably like this. She could blow this up."
D sat down close besides me. I swatted at his exposed legs, we all had on shorts. He reciprocated the swat.
"As much as I complain this isn't bad. I could use a good workout like this."
"Yeah, I'm actually having fun."
"This waterfall is what's up."
It was a perfect spot. Other people started to walk on by or jog by, probably because it was getting later in the day for others to come out.
"We should get ice cream after this," D whispered.
I shook my head and chuckled.
"You a mess."
"Ya dad ain't got to know," he continued to whisper.
"We'll see."

I could already feel my legs getting sore, morning time was going to be brutal.
"Damn! We were in there for 2 hours," D said as he looked at his watch.
We were making our way through the parking lot the day still young and hot.
We got into the hot car and rolled down the windows until the A/C kicked in.
"That was fun, dad," Derek said from the front seat.
"Yeah, Mr. Thompson, it was really nice but I won't be doing it ever again."
"Cause they ain't got that shit in Section 1," I say.
"I wouldn't even do it if I was out here again."
"I would, next time you go dad let me know, I'll tag along," Derek said.
Dad smiled.
"Okay, son."

Once we got back to the house we all showered up, grabbed some more food and beers and sat in lawn chairs in the front yard.
"See, I could have been doing this all day," D said.
"How's my boys," mama asked with her wine glass in her hands.
"We good mama," I say and take a swig from my beer.
"Had a hard working day, felt real productive," D said.
"Well," dad said as he started to get up. "You boys catch up and have fun, I'll see y'all later on. I got some work to do in that shed, want to get it done before sundown."
"All right, Mr. Thompson."
"See ya, dad."
"Later, dad."
The house phone started to ring and mom ran away after it.
"How's work and family life, Derek?" D asked.
"Good, real good, besides the fact that the girls keep growing on me."
"They are getting tall. They're taller than the last time I've seen them," I say.
"It's crazy."
"How old are they?" D asked.
"Eight and five."
"Oh! You had a child at our age."
Derek nods his head.
"Yeah I was pretty young but at that point I had been dating Sasha since high school so it worked out." He took a sip of his beer.
"Lucky you," D said.
"Don't worry. Y'all some handsome men, you'll find some wives soon."

D simply nodded his head with a smirk on his face. I wonder if I will end up with a wife. I could very much end up with a guy. The thought surprises me but doesn't make me any less interested in still dating men.

"What you thinking about?" D asks me on the low. I notice that Derek was on his phone.
I look at D and shake my head but then change my mind.
"I could potentially end up with a husband," I say below a whisper.
D just watches me.
"I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I don't know who I will marry, even gender wise. It's kind of crazy."
"It's not, Les. Would you feel better if you knew which sex it would be? Do you want a husband? Do you prefer a wife?"
I took a second to think about it.
"I can't speak for the future, so I guess it shouldn't matter. All I know right now is that I do want a boyfriend."
I instantly think of Tahj. Aren't we dating?
D nods and smiles at me.
"Can't relate," he says. "That's the farthest thing I want right now."
I chuckle.
"D, you can't be scared all ya life, you got to get back out there and date at some point. Do you want to get married?"
He takes a minute to think about it.
"I've never messed with the idea. It's hardly ever been a thought, so I don't know. I guess I have to find someone who'll make me believe."