14. A brother?

Chapter 14.
A brother?

Sa-do had gone to visit Ah-ro that day. She helped clean up the room and put away the medical supplies. "What happened? You don't look alright," she said within a few minutes after tolerating the doctor's deep exhales and heavy sighs and whispered agitated mutterings.

Ah-ro looked at her and sighed again. Sa-do sat down on a bench and patted the spot next to her. "Out with it," she said encouragingly, motioning with her hands for her to start talking as Ah-ro sat down too.

"My brother is not my brother, but I want him to be. But he is not my brother and he keeps insisting he is, so I hate him."

Sa-do blinked, totally confused. "Are we talking about Seon-woo here?" she confirmed, not fully catching the gist. Ah-ro groaned as she buried her face in her hands indicating an affirmative response. "I think you need some time away from him," on getting a pointed glare from the other, Sa-do amended, "at least until you clear your head. You, yourself, don't know what you feel right now. Take your time to decide if you are angry because he is not your brother or because he keeps saying he is. It can't be both."

That afternoon Sa-do went to her room to put away some books before lunch. On her way she heard Han-seong's voice. And by the sound of it, he was not alone.

"Why are you always spending time with them?"

"It is like you don't even know us anymore."

The poor boy was getting ragged on by his roommates. Sa-do stepped out of the corner and she pulled Han-seong back when she reached him. "He is doing the performance with us. That is why he has to spend a lot of time with us. I don't see what the problem is." Han-seong looked at her with adoring glazed eyes.

"Why are you interfering?" one of them asked in annoyance.

Sa-do derided, "I am interfering because he is my friend.  And unless you want me to start picking you guys as my sparring partners, I think you should leave him alone."

There was no response to that. Everyone feared Jae-won with a sword. He was lethal. The only person who could handle Sa-do in a sword fight was Ji-dwi. "Let's go," Sa-do said as she pulled Han-seong, who was clutching her arm tightly with both his hands, away from them.

...

At lunch Yeo-wool sat down at the table and glanced at Han-seong who was eating happily, and asked, "why are you here?"

Han-seong's roommates jeered at him from another table. Han-seong rested his head on Jae-won's shoulder, who was sitting next to him, and explained, "Poong Wol Joo told me to be here." Sa-do had taken him to their teacher and elaborated on the problem and the old man had no qualms with Han-seong staying with them if their roommates were fine with it.

Yeo-wool turned to Ban-ryu instead, "you surprised me. You danced well. In my opinion, you are a talented dancer."

Ban-ryu gave a deathly glare to the Hwarang and if looks could kill... "Just shut up and eat."