40. The heist

Chapter 40.
The heist.

After class ended for the day, Ban-ryu stayed back as the rest of the Hwarangs left. He knew that his roommates were going to rob his stepfather's place and since they didn't want to involve him, he decided to give them some privacy so they could discuss and properly formulate a strategy. He was going through his textbook when someone cleared their throat.

"Hey," Sa-do greeted as she sat down beside him.

"I am guessing you are not here for pleasantries," Ban-ryu mused as he gave a sideway glance to his sister before going back to the book.

"Tonight. After dinner," she said, looking ahead, not meeting his eyes.

"What?" He was confused. "You want to sleep after dinner? Or you are asking for help in reading?" Tonight, after dinner could mean almost anything.

"The heist."

The textbook fell from his grasp. "What?!"

Sa-do half turned to him but didn't meet his eyes when she declared, "we are going to raid my father's house tonight."

Ban-ryu had no idea what she was doing, telling him all this when the other guys didn't want to include him. "Should you really be exposing your plans to me?"

"Oh please," Sa-do scoffed. "The only reason Seon-woo is alive is because of you."

Ban-ryu was once again caught wrong footed but he quickly masked his surprise. "I don't know what you are talking about," he shrugged with feigned innocence.

"You do realize that I can recognize your handwriting from when you had taught me, right?" she accused but there was a hint of mild amusement too.

Ban-ryu didn't reply. He couldn't. She had caught him red handed. Sa-do gave a satisfied nod, accepting his silence as an answer. Ban-ryu had placed a note on Sa-do's bed, warning her about the assassination attempt of Seon-woo. His warning had given her enough preparation time and she had been able to rope in Dan-se and Su-jin into the rescue mission that night along with Soo-ho and Yeo-wool and successfully saved Seon-woo.

Ban-ryu wasn't strong enough to directly disobey Park Young-shil just yet as he was afraid his father would have to face the consequences. But after the turn of events in South Buyeo he had found little ways to defy his stepfather. He had obviously wanted to do so inconspicuously and anonymously but he should have known that with Sa-do involved, there would be no secrets and anonymity.

Sa-do exhaled loudly as she tentatively rested her head against his shoulder making him stiffen. She waited a full minute to see if he would push her away before becoming more comfortable and even Ban-ryu relaxed.

"I know that this is hard for you, and I am immensely proud of you," she started slowly, as if considering the words in her mind first, "and I am not expecting you to show up tonight because he is your father and you don't have as much reason to hate him. But I just thought that you ought to know."