50. Smooth transition of power

Chapter 50.
Smooth transition of power.

Ji-dwi stood still for a moment as he watched Sa-do with wary eyes. She stayed unmoving for a few seconds before her shoulders started to shake with muffled sobs. He was sure that the major reason why he hated Park Young-shil was that even before leaving he managed to hurt the girl in front of him.

He rushed to her side, kneeling before her, forgetting about the presence of the other Hwarangs or that he was the King. She was in pain and all he could do right now was be there for her. "Sa-do?" he called as he cupped her face and forced her to look up.

Her face was stained with tear tracks and she looked crushed. "I am sorry... I know he deserved it... it's just that-" she stumbled over the words.

"Shh. It's alright. I got you," Ji-dwi soothingly murmured as he pulled her into his arms.

The doors to the throne room opened again and Su-jin entered with Jang-sik behind him. "I thought she might need him," Su-jin admitted as Jang-sik rushed over to Sa-do and Jinheung helped her stand before stepping back. Sa-do fell into Jang-sik's awaiting arms as her cries got more fervent. "I am so proud of you kid," he told her and the pride reflected in his voice.

"I think I just became an orphan," Sa-do said, her voice a bare whisper.

Jang-sik pulled her at an arm's length. "Do you really believe that?" he asked her as he pointed to everyone around the room. "Are we all not your family? Ahh you hurt my feelings." Sa-do gave a small smile despite herself and allowed him to wipe away her tears. "I will adopt you as my own daughter if you want but just never think that you are alone," Jang-sik begged as he patted her head.

"Oh cool!" Su-jin grinned, "Sa-do you really are my sister now."

Sa-do was just beginning to realize how true her Ahjussi's words were. It didn't matter if Park Young-shil disowned her because he had never been there to play the role of a father for her. The only people she was close to while growing up was Jang-sik and Dan-se and now the Hwarang had given her a bigger family. She had people that she could trust and count on, people who would listen to her, understand her, look after her, protect her, love her and cherish her. She had a family. A big one, at that. The thought was comforting and it began to ease the pain in her heart.

"You did the right thing Sa-do. Your mother would have been so proud," Jang-sik stated. Sa-do's hands unconsciously clutched the ring that had been hanging from her neck from the time she had joined the Hwarang. She sure hoped so.

...

That evening, Park Young-shil had two visitors.

The first was his head servant. "Sa-do is my niece," that man had claimed.

Park Young-shil had been stunned but when he thought about it, Jang-sik started working for him after Sa-do's mother became pregnant with her. She was his sister. Park Young-shil scoffed. His head servant was related to the useless woman who could not even give him a son who could sit on the throne. The thought itself made his blood boil.

"Don't worry. I didn't let her become anything like you. I raised her to be a good human being."

He hadn't felt so angry. This man had double crossed him within his own home and he had never even suspected such foul play. How had he missed it? This pathetic excuse of a man was always too fond of his so-called daughter. He should have known better.

His other visitor had been King Jinheung himself.

"You can die in peace," the King had said. "I will look after your daughter and do what you failed to do in all these years. I will keep her happy."

Park Young-shil had had no idea that the King had fallen in love with his daughter. Had he known, he would have used her to get the throne instead of playing into the hands of Seon-woo. But it was too late now. All was lost.

...

The Hwarang hung around the palace for a week to show their support for a smooth transition of power. Ah-ro had been released from any royal duties she had been forced into by the late Queen Ji-so and after a tearful reunion with Seon-woo, she returned home to an equally happy father.

Soo-ho's father, Kim Seub, had been appointed as the new Gakan of Silla. All of Park Young-shil's store houses had been emptied and the wealth had been handed over to the royal family to fund Silla's development. Gakan's house had been converted into an inn that provided shelter for the poor and homeless as per the wish of Park Young-shil's heir, Sa-do.

Seon-woo and Yeo-wool attended all of the official meetings to show their support as heirs to the throne, as Sacred Bones, in King Jinheung's reign. Seon-woo was particularly fond of attending these meetings.

For one, it was impressive to watch Ji-dwi act as King. His friend had really become competent on his own and it made him proud to see how far he had come. For another, it was always amusing to watch Park Young-shil's previous followers cringe away from him whenever he walked by. One had even taken to hiding behind Yeo-wool who would always wave him away with his fan.

Jinheung found it humorous too. "They are terrified of you," he teased, laughing behind his hand as the three of them were left alone after another long meeting.

"Good," Seon-woo said seriously. "Then they won't try anything."

Yeo-wool waved his hand, his face puffed up from trying not to laugh. "I think one of them lost control of his bladder today," he gasped out before bursting into a fit of chuckles.

"Oh I noticed too! What did you tell the poor man?" Ji-dwi asked, unable to control his grin.

"I may or may not have threatened him," Seon-woo shrugged carelessly.

After some light hearted conversation, Jinheung turned to a more serious topic. "Our border with Baekje has become less secure. I know your feelings about South Buyeo and crowned Prince Chang," he admitted, glancing at the Hwarang, "but I don't believe outright war is our best option. Instead, an alliance with Goguryeo may be of use."

Seon-woo nodded. "I will go and assess the situation myself and report back to you," he declared. As General of the Hwarang, it was his duty to lead missions of this sort.