The Upstairs

Nia could hear someone or something shuffling from upstairs, J'onn hadn't informed her of there being a visitor for today, she was about to dismiss it as an animal or a rat that was running rampant around the library until she hears a voice of someone humming a tune.

okay, that's definitely not a rat.

well, it could be a rat but that makes things worse altogether, anyway, concerned that someone had broken into J'onn's office without permission, she ventures stealthily up the stairs, making as little noise as she could.

imagine her shock when she sees the exact carbon copy of Jason from Friday the 13th standing in front of a bookshelf and sorting through its contents as if it was a casual occurrence for a murderer.

you don't hear her footsteps approaching you over the sound of your own humming, not to mention the fact that you were still distracted with your little game.

the days could get boring sometimes, you know?

"Nightmare on Elm Street," you read on the front before shifting your form into one identical to the killer, triumphantly exclaiming, "aha! Freddy Krueg—oh, woahwoah–,pleasedon'tkillme," you exclaimed, dropping down on the ground and backing away in seeing the stranger's fist glowing a bright blue.

"who the hell are you!?"

"not Freddy Krueger, that's for sure," you muttered, shifting back into your human form as you attempted to get back on your feet, it's rather hard when trying to not die on the job.

realizing you were an alien, Nia was more concerned now, she advances towards you, "I'm not joking around,"

before you could answer, an audible thud of s door shutting close reverberates throughout the room coming downstairs which is soon followed by J'onn's voice, "Y/n? what's going on up there?"

sighing in relief, the bright blue sparks from the woman's hands quickly dissipated, "J'onn! oh, J'onn, thank H'ronmeer," you uttered quickly.

"ah, I see you've met our lovely Nia Nal," He notes when he arrives up to where you were, J'onn gives you both a knowing look, right, he can read minds.

you nodded profusely, heart still beating fast, "yes, yes... very lovely, indeed," you claimed, causing the green martian to chuckle.

the utter confusion on Nia's face wasn't hard to miss, she squints at both you and the manhunter and trying to make sense of it all, "wait, wait, what—"

"Y/n Y/l/n, she's the caretaker of the place when business gets busy and she's also a shapeshifter, as you already know," J'onn stated, enlightening Nia about your identity.

an "oh..." was all Nia could manage as heat rushed to her cheeks, colouring them a shade of red as she looks back at you, much to her relief, you didn't seem quite bothered as a smile was plastered on your face whilst you waved playfully at her.

even so, she doesn't stop subtly apologizing to you with food and other gifts for the next few weeks.