Of Twists and Turns

"Right foot first, you're gonna get yourself injured," the statement haunts you as you acknowledge yourself falling out of balance, painfully twisting your ankle as you try to get back on your feet.

at first, you thought it didn't matter, it was just footing, after all, you did just fine without proper use of it, catching and passing the shuttlecock back and forth between you and your teammate with ease.

that is until the shuttlecock flies far over your head and in an effort to catch it you accidentally step back with the wrong foot, doesn't matter now, you're falling, you can already feel the pain radiating from your ankle, it's too late for regrets.

your back hits the concrete floor with a thud, the dust ambling on the ground slightly stick to your damp skin and the fabric of your training clothes.

your teammate, Ace, comes up to you with a grimaced expression on his face, he was the one who warned you about your footing in the first place.

after slightly recovering, he offers you a hand and helps you sit up, you stretch your injured leg out, your face scrunching out of pain as the adrenaline fades into nothingness, you wince at the sharp sensation building on your right foot.

"I hate to say I told you so," he sighs heavily, he kneels down and sets his racket beside him, careful not to scratch its frame before scrutinizing your injured ankle.

a moment later, his hands search his pockets to pull out a smartphone, he opens up his contacts and it's too late before you could realize what he was doing.

"I'm calling your sisters,"

"Wait don't-"

"YOU COULD'VE HIT YOUR HEAD AND DIED," Kara ranted as she carried you into her apartment.

"It's just a sprain" you protested, inadvertently chuckling at her agitation, she only gives you a soft yet disputing look, "it's not funny," Kara says as she sets you down on the couch.

You mumble an apology, aware that she was just worried about your safety and well-being

"What happened to her?" a different, stricter voice sounds from the apartment's entrance.

"oh God," you croaked,

Kara crosses her arms and sighs, "Someone decided it was smart to not listen to instructions," she emphasizes "someone" by not so subtly shifting her eyes to your incapacitated figure.

"It's not that bad," you nervously argued as you hear Alex's footsteps getting louder and louder as she walked closer to where you were sat.

Alex kneels down by your injured ankle, analyzing it for a moment before her attention switches to you, her eyes attempting to meet your own but rather it prompts you to look down in shame, you could almost feel her disappointed gaze digging into your soul, she'd always been more strict and protective over you.

that's understandable considering you are the youngest out of the family.

One time you came home with one too many scratches, they weren't deep or fatal, in fact, they were small and pretty much felt like nothing, the next day Alex got plenty of sermons from Eliza and you spent most of the week avoiding your sisters until they both assured you that they weren't mad at you, that's the time when you realized why they were both overprotective when it comes to you.

Alex slides closer to you, her hands coming up to rest on your shoulders, "(y/n), look at me," she prods, you look anywhere else but her, you couldn't stand the pitiful looks your sisters both shared.

"Hey, (y/n), we're not mad at you," Alex assures, gently cupping your face and shifting to face you while Kara busied herself by rubbing circles on your back in an effort to soothe you.

Alex's attention shifts back to your ankle, she tries to lightly stir your foot but the sudden intrusion causes you to jump up and hiss in pain.

"not that bad, huh?" Kara teased,

Alex worked on treating and bandaging your sprained ankle, Kara aiding her by flying in and out of the apartment to grab missing paraphernalia and handing you whatever you needed in a split second with her super speed.

As Alex was finishing up with your ankle, a whoosh sounds from behind you, signaling Kara's return.

"I ordered pizza and potstickers," she announces cheerfully

"do you ever eat vegetables?" You ask mockingly, an amused 'pfft' and a chuckle was Alex's only response while Kara looks at both you and Alex with feign hurt and a mix of disgust.

The three of you settle down for a movie night, fortunately, there weren't any cases of an alien rampaging around National City, giving you the bit of time and space you needed to rest and for your sisters to continually dote over you and your ankle.

Kara cuddled you closely while your feet sat on Alex's lap, a movie specifically chosen by you being colourfully illustrated on the TV, and as the hours pass, the night settles in you begin feeling better, making you slightly confident about being able to stand again.

"I'm gonna go grab some water," you muttered but before you could even lift a finger, Alex had already prepared herself to stop you from doing whatever it is you think would be a wise action to take while Kara's grip around your figure tightens.

You couldn't help but grimace, offering nothing but a grunt in protest.

Kara snickers at your attempt, "you are not leaving this couch, young lady," Alex declares, glaring at you with a no-nonsense-or-else look and leaving you with no space to argue.

Alex softly sets your feet down on a pillow, making sure you were comfortable and within a few minutes she comes back, helps you sit up and hands you a glass of water, for a second you worry you might spill it as it was almost filled to the brim so you quickly take a sip.

Your phone lights up, notifying you that someone had sent you a message, it was an invitation to watch a movie tomorrow, a movie you've been waiting to come out for months, "so... how long am I stuck here?" You ask curiously.

"don't even think about it," they both say in unison.

you're gonna be stuck on that couch for a long time.