Chapter 25

Samantha

"What are you doing?"

Mula sa pagbabasa ng libro ay napaangat ako ng tingin. There's that famous Latina kid infront of me.

"I thought you're a genius? How did it happen if you don't even know what's reading?"

Tumawa ito.

"I know you're reading. What I meant to ask if what is it that you're reading."

"A book?" I lifted my book para makita nito.

Again, tumawa lang ulit ito.

"If you want others to like you, just try to be nice."

Umismid naman ako. Why would I?

"Your eyes says so." Seryosong sabi pa nito at naupo sa tabi ko. "By the way, I'm Grant."

Tiningnan ko sya mula ulo hanggang paa. She's famous in the campus because she's a genius.

"I've heard you're also a candidate in the acceleration program." Nakangiting dugtong nito. "Don't you think intelligent ones should flock all together?"

Tahimik lang na nakikinig ako dito habang nagbabasa.

"I'm Samantha."

"I know. You're the famous Miss Perfect of the campus, aren't you?"

"I'm not perfect." Mahinang bulong ko. I dont even know where that word came from. O kung anuman ang basis non.

Itinuro ni Grant yung grupo ng mga babaeng kaedad namin. Yung sikat na Trio of the Century. Mga anak mayaman na may invisible name tag sa noo ng mga apelyido ng mga ito. Well, lahat naman yata ng nag aaral dito sa Brent International School.

"Those three started the rumors. It's after you've beaten one of them sa Chess."

"Ahh. That Railey Alleman. She's remarkable."

"Uh-um." Tumango tango pa ito. "So what is that book all about?"

Nahihiyang itiniklop ko yung libro. Some says it's for kids. But at nine, am I still a kid?

"Sam, how do you perceive the story of that book? I've read it ten times."

"This one?" Inangat ko yung libro na hawak ko.

Ngumiti ito. "Ain't the prince stupid?"

"I just thought the rose is lying. She told lies so the prince would like her. That everyone has their ulterior motive for doing kindness."

"But she's really the one and only rose in their planet. It's the Prince who makes her unique. It's his fault that she was perceived as special."

"Because the Prince hasn't seen anything like that before doesn't mean that, that rose is the only one."

Ngumiti si Grant at inilahad ang kamay.

"Just think of me as the fox. And I'll think of you as the prince."

"The fox who taught the prince of how to 'tame'? What about the rose?"

Itinuro ni Grant lahat ng mga nakakalat na estudyante na nasa paligid namin.

"They're all roses, Samantha. One day, you'll see one that is unique and you'll have to be responsible for that rose. Don't be like the Prince who only realizes it when it's already too late."