FORTY NINE

ev 🧚🏼‍♀️ | everestemerson

i feel the biggest part of my life is a lie

20K LIKES  COMMENTS DISABLED

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・✧

"please go away cyra, i don't want to hear about chad!" everest shouted from her room as she opened the door.

cyra had been in and out of her apartment all day, trying to cheer up everest.

she didn't even know how she felt herself. she wasn't angry exactly, or sad. she just kind of sat on her bed watching episodes of wizards of waverly place on disney plus.

"it's not cyra." a deeper voice shouted back, and everest heard footsteps coming toward her bedroom.

"matt?" she questioned, seeing him in her doorway. "did you know about everything. because if you did, just save both of our energy and leave my sight." she said dramatically.

he rolled her eyes, "i promise i didn't know. nobody tells me anything." he adds a little sad. "i've heard you're being reclusive again." he sighed, jumping on to her bed.

"no i'm not." she scowled, crossing her arms over her chest.

"are you going to tell me what happened?" he asked, softer this time. "give me a piece." he motioned to the pizza box beside her, and she handed him a piece of pizza. "this is why we're besties." matt pointed to the pineapple on the pizza.

"of course matt." she gave a small laugh. "i haven't really told you about my family." she sighed, "it's a lot."

he nodded, stuffing the pizza into his mouth.

"my dad has been gone for awhile. he just kind of left. and my mom started drinking a lot more after that. and she's an alcoholic now." everest started, "she would get drunk and hit me sometimes."

he scooted toward her and grabbed another piece of pizza. "god i'm trying to tell you about all my trauma and you only care about pizza." she said laughing a little.

"i do care, but i really like pizza." he defended himself.

"anyway" everest continued, "that's the whole reason i was mad at josh when we saw each other again. he left me with my mom and then didn't even bother to call or anything."

matt nodded, and pulled her into a hug. "i can't breathe." everest squeaked our. matt had been squeezing her pretty tight.

"sorry." he chuckled, "but i thought you weren't mad at him for that anymore?" he asked the brunette girl.

she shook her head, "i'm not. but it was for the backstory."

"what a master story teller."

she smiled before continuing. "so my mom overdosed, and i wanted to see her. because even though she's a shitty person, she's still my mom. and we argued and she hasn't changed. i keep wanting to think that maybe she'll be different. but i'm fucking done." she choked back a sob.

"there's a point where you can't keep giving people more chances." matt told her.

"and when we were talking, she basically told me that josh was the reason i got my role in lost and found."

"and why is that such a bad thing?" matt asked her calmly.

"i thought you were on my side?" she retorted sassily.

he threw his hands up in mock surrender. "i'm just trying to help you understand."

everest rolled her eyes. she sighed, "i just thought i finally accomplished something on my own. it felt good to know i did something all from my hard work i guess" she shrugged.

"do you feel like you don't normally accomplish things on your own?"

everest closed her eyes for a moment. "i don't know. i mean cyra and max go to ucla. they're like geniuses. y'all are actors. it's kind of pathetic that i couldn't even get a role based on my talent."

matt tried to console her, "i thought you said you're mom didn't change? maybe she just lied."

"josh told me it was true." she said. "i just really thought i was good at it. but josh just bribed them to give me the role. i feel stupid to think i did it on my own."

"even if you didn't get the role on your own." he started, "you still did a great job, and then got another role in a movie. you did that by yourself." he pointed out.

"i guess, but i just feel dumb. he's been lying to me this whole time." she responded pathetically. "and olivia too. she had so many times to tell me."

"oh."

"wow thanks matt. i thought you were going to give me some life changing advice." she rolled her eyes, also grabbing a slice of pizza.

"just a minute. give me some time to think." he retorted.

everest scoffed but stayed silent.

"okay." matt began, "i'm ready to begin."

"the floor is yours."

"first for olivia, i get that it was a big secret that she never told you. however." matt holds his hand up. "it wasn't her secret to tell. it was josh's. so even if she wanted to, it wasn't up to her. and josh would have probably gotten mad at her."

everest sighed, she guessed matt was right. it was josh's responsibility to tell her.

"just because you needed a little help to get your start, doesn't make you any less talented or valid. and maybe josh was wrong to lie to you, but he did have good intentions. and he obviously cared so much even when you weren't talking because he wanted you to succeed, and he knew you would. "

everest started crying, again. "i never knew you were so wise." she cried.

matt shrugged, "people underestimate me."

"i guess you're right matt. thank you."

"i'm always right everest." he responded in a tone that made it seem like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "now go get your man!"

everest's eyes widened, "have you seen what i look like right now? my shirt has a stain on it and i don't remember the last time i've washed my hair."

"no i don't really notice that type of thing. i've mentally and physically blocked you in that sense. because awhile ago josh told me he would beat the shit out of me if i ever even looked or thought of you that way."

everest started laughing, "oh god. i should go get ready then." she started getting off the bed, and so did matt.

"is this the part where i get to help you with your makeover before you go to woo the boy of your dreams?" he exclaimed.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・✧