Chapter 2

-Katniss

I'm so tired I haven't been getting much sleep lately. My sleep has been filled with too many nightmares of lost children and mutts. He's been in my thoughts each night too, I can't get him out of my head. Oh how I do hope he's okay. Peeta, please come home; please tell me you're safe.

I haven't moved out of bed for days. I haven't eaten, showered or changed my clothes. I'm just weak and worthless. I'm not as strong as I was when I was 'their' Mockingjay, I don't think I'll ever be that strong again. All my fire has burnt out; I'm left with just the burns and scars to prove it.

But today is different I guess. I actually got out of bed and took a shower. The water running over my body made me feel so much better about myself. I don't know why I didn't take one a few days ago. I changed into some tight sleeping shorts and a normal bed top, just keeping it casual for the sleepwear.

I walk down the stairs to the kitchen to make myself a warm coffee as it feels like a freezer in my house. I carry it around in my hands, using it as a hand warmer.

I sit on the couch with it in my hands resting on my knee. I take a glance out of the window and by surprise I see him, is it actually him? Or am I dreaming? It is. It is him. It's Peeta.

I stand up putting my coffee onto the table and run to the door. I swing it open and look out at him, leaning against the door frame. I almost start to cry at the sight of him before my eyes.

He looks up and notices me, he smiles and I swear my heart melts. I smile back at him and it feels like a huge relief seeing him again. I can't believe it! Peeta's back!

I stay by the door for a while even after he's gone into his house. It gets cold so I walk inside. I instantly regret not asking Peeta to come in and have a cup of coffee. He's probably got a girlfriend and is with her, making her happy, being his soppy loving self.