Chapter 25

3 weeks later

-Katniss

I leave my house, taking the same path as I do every morning to the woods. I meet gale there and we go hunting for 2 hours.

We fill up my game back which consists of 5 squirrels, 2 birds and a deer, so not that bad of a catch. We've decided to go to the hob and give our game to greasy sae. Yeah, no ones in poverty or on the verge of dying of starvation but I still like to repay them all with a little something, and greasy sae's soup she makes out of anything still tastes pretty damn good.

Once we've stopped by the hob we walk back through the town seeing all the new buildings that have been put up and recreated. We walk past Peeta's bakery and see all the lights on and a que all the way out of the front door.

"Heyy catnip, I'm running low on some bread, mind if I just pop in? You can go head home if you like?" Gale says, slightly moving from my side.

"No, I'm coming, I fancy some cheese buns anyways," I reply.

Lately I've had a really bad craving for Peeta's cheese buns, even though we broke up and called our wedding off and haven't spoken in a while, I still crave his comfort all of the time.

I join the end of the que of impatient people all waiting to taste Peeta's wonderful bread. The que goes down quite quickly and before we know it were going to be served next.

I look at the family in front of me, a mother, father and 2 little children. The little girl lays sound asleep in her father's arms as the little boy is tugging on the bottom of his mother's dress nagging to have a cake. I smile at the stressed mother who sighs while she takes a look at her family. "Not now marc, you can't have a cake, mummy doesn't have enough money!"

I look down to the begging toddler at her feet, tugging her dress, begging her for a cake.

I put my hand in my pocket and pull out some money, "here, get the little ones something nice." I say, putting the coins into her open palm.

She looks up at me confused before opening her mouth to speak. "Oh, thank you ever so much, Marc say thank you to the kin-, say thank you to Katniss, Marc."

I smile, "no problem." I bend down so I'm kneeling to the toddler at her feet. He wraps his chubby arms around my neck and whispers a little thank you into my ear. I smile and touch the top of his nose cutely. I stand up again and she thanks me yet again. I just smile as her and her family walk out of the bakery loaded with fresh bread and treats for the little ones.

I feel gales hand on my shoulder, pushing me forward to the till. I look up from looking down and see him standing there, looking at my shoulder where Gales hand is pressed on. I just smile.

I can't bring myself to say anything to him, I miss him yeah, but he is he getting the impression that me and Gale are together now? I hope he isn't, but knowing Peeta he is and he's worrying about it in his head.

I nod towards the cheese buns. "2 please," I say. He walks over to where they are and places 4 into a bag. He brings them back to the counter and puts it on the top. He looks up at me, his face showing pain, and hurt. I take my money out of my pocket and move my hand to his, placing the coins in his open palm. My hand touches his warm, soft, friendly hands and it gives me a tingling sensation throughout my body. I pull my hand back as soon as possible and pick the back and leave for the door. Leaving Gale stood there to order what he wants for himself.