Chapter 26

-Peeta

I leave my house, taking the same path as I do every morning to the newly built bakery; I'm so glad they rebuilt the bakery; it helps with my memories and keeps flashbacks from attacking my mind, even if my mother did abuse me.

Today the bakery is full, the queue is all the way out of the front door, and it hasn't been like this for a while, maybe the district is doing something includes bread or its pay day.

I look at the long queue of people and I see two more figures join the back of it. The queue goes down quite quickly and before I know it she's standing there, waiting to be served next. Why is Katniss here? That's when I see Gale behind her.

I'm serving the family in front of Katniss and Gale, packing the bread she has asked for and I over hear the mother saying, "Not now marc, you can't have a cake, mummy doesn't have enough money!" This makes me sigh. I'm just about to place two cakes in a box for her two little children but then I see Katniss hand the mother some money and saying, "Here, get the little ones something nice."

I then see her bend down at the toddler at the mother's feet. He wraps his chubby arms around her neck and whispers something into her ear she smiles her beautiful smile and touches the top of his nose so sweetly. She stands up again and smiles at the woman and her family.

I pack 4 cakes into a box for the family but only charge them for two and the bread they asked for. They thank me and wave goodbye before leaving the house.

I see gale put his hand on Katniss ' shoulder pushing her forward to be served next. I just stare at his hand on her shoulder, that shouldn't be him, that should be me.

I can't bring myself to say anything to her, what can I say? I've lost her and this is hard. I miss her so much! I miss the way her smile would light up s dark room, I miss the way her lips hug her teeth when she smiles. I miss the way her hair looks in the morning. I miss my Katniss. But she has Gale now. She doesn't need me, no-body needs me.

I know what she wants before she even nods towards the cheese buns, "2 please," she says. Her voice is so calm and beautiful. I walk over to the cheese buns and put 4 into a bag, I take them back to the counter and place the bag on the top. I look up at her face, it's so different, the bags under her eyes. She looks terrible but so beautiful at the same time. She takes the money out of her pocket and places it into my open palm, her cold, shaky hand touches mine forms second and a burning fire of emotions goes through my body, she doesn't know the effect she can have on people, especially me. I pull my hand back and put the money into the cash register and as soon as I look back up I see she has taken the bag and has run out of then bakery leaving gale by himself.