Chapter 20

New Year's Eve

-Katniss

We're all heading around to Haymitch's tonight; he's having a little new year's party. Well I wouldn't class it as a party because only me, Peeta, Effie and Haymitch will be there. But I guess that's better than being stuck in my house all evening sat there doing nothing. Anyways there's going to be a lot of alcohol so I can get back to practising, just like I had done the other night, how to drink and drink a lot without throwing it all up everywhere.

I'm just getting ready and my mind wont focus, it keeps going back to the night of mine and Peeta's date. The memory of his lips over mine, I was shocked he asked me to marry him, like wow. The feeling of his warm lips pressed so heavily against mine, The feeling of his breath as his mouth opened slightly as our breath mingled. That was a kiss that made my whole body tingle, my heart jump and my stomach do back flips repeatedly. He could have been kissing another pair of lips, but no, he chose me, and I'm so happy with his decision. I still think back to when Haymitch said I could live a thousand life times and never deserve him, yes he's right. But I don't care, I love him so much.

My mind comes back to right now and what I'm doing, getting ready. I finish applying a little bit of make-up, I still don't like wearing it, but again it's practise for the wedding. At least today I don't have to wear a tight dress which show's some cleavage. Today I can wear leggings and a jumper and still look okay I guess?

~~

I leave my house carrying my bag which is filled with all sorts of alcohol, all I could get my hands on really.

I get to Haymitch's door and swing it open, not even bothering to knock, as if he would care if I knocked or not. I look around to see them sat on the couch, Peeta, Haymitch and Effie.

"Hey guys," I say.

"Hey Katniss," Effie says.

I smile as a response and walk over to the couch that Peeta is sat on and take a seat next to him. I kiss his cheek lightly and smile at him.

"I brought some alcohol over, not sure if it's any good but at least it's alcohol eh?" I say. Haymitch starts laughing, he's laughing really hard and I have no idea why.

I pick up the bottle of red wine that's at the top of my bag. "Want a glass Katniss?" Effie says.

I look directly at her, "Oh no thanks, it's okay! I'll just drink out the bottle. Not as if it would last long anyways," I reply. I hear her mutter something under breath think it's 'manners' or something, but I don't pay enough attention to react upon it.

I take a big gulp from the bottle and swallow it. When I swallow it, it makes a noise which makes me laugh a little. I move my body closer to Peeta's. He seems really awkward tonight so I'll try and break the awkwardness. "Hey baby," I whisper into his ear as I move onto his lap, sitting sideways. "Hey gorgeous," he whispers back in my ear.

"I missed you baby."

"I missed you too."

"Tonight will be good, I promise." I take another big gulp from the wine bottle and kiss Peeta on the lips softly. When I pull back I see him smiling. He looks so cute when he smiles.

The night passes slowly. And more bottles of wine and alcohol are being drunk, I'm a little drunk but it feels great. Peeta seems a little tipsy, Effie is completely drunk, so drunk she thought Peeta was Haymitch and started dancing and kissing him. I just laughed it off though; she didn't make me jealous, just made me laugh. Haymitch on the other hand is just sat in his chair drinking, just like he would always do before him and Effie were together.

I walk over to Haymitch, leaving Peeta to dance with Effie. I sit on the arm of his chair and take a big gulp of my drink. "Yes sweetheart?" he says.

 "Come dance," I reply.

"Oh sweetheart I don't-" I cut him off by pulling him up to his feet by his hands. I put my arms around his neck and his arms go around my waist and we sway to the music. "So, has he got you knocked up yet sweetheart?" Haymitch says.

"No, we haven't even... You know," I reply.

We are interrupted by Peeta coming over, "Mind if I take her?" he says, directly to Haymitch I assume.

"She's all yours bread boy!" Haymitch replies, he moves his hands from my waist and I take mine from around his neck, he gives me a cheeky wink indication to what our conversation was about. I roll my eyes and laugh a little. My arms find Peeta's muscular figure and press onto his chest, it' covered by his shirt, but you can still feel the outline of the muscles. "Thank you," Peeta says in reply.

Effie walks over to us stumbling over everything in her path; she pushes Haymitch into his chair and sits on top of him with her legs straddling his waist. "I think this is our cue to leave," Peeta says, he laughs a little before pulling me behind him and sitting on the couch pulling me on top of him.

~ 11:57 pm ~

We all stand up and hold each other's hand, more for balance than actual affection I think. I think I've drunk too much and I'm going to be sorry in the morning when I wake up with a pounding head ache. This thought doesn't stop me from downing the last bottle of red wine we have here. Peeta pulls me close to him and whispers into my ear. "First of many years together," I smile and kiss his lips softly, "My last kiss and first kiss of every year will be with you baby," I say back. He puts his mouth back by my ear and whispers again, "I hope so."

I feel my legs start to give way but Peeta is holding me upright making sure I don't go tumbling down. What a show that would be. The clock strikes 12 and we all scream in sync, "Happy New Year."

I turn to Peeta and Effie turns to Haymitch. I give Peeta a big, long, sloppy kiss on his lips and chuckle when I pull back. We turn back to see Haymitch and Effie full on making out. "Get a room, gee," Peeta says. I start to laugh a little and pull Peeta back close to my body and I kiss him again, this time with passion. I deepen the kiss by sliding my tongue across his bottom lip teasing him. I bite his lip a little and chuckle to myself. Our tongues explore each other's mouths. We stay like this for a while and it's beautiful.