Chapter 14

6 months later

-Katniss

So Haymitch finally decided to propose to Effie, she said yes of course! The wedding is planned to be in early July. It's December 20th now so we still have a long time to wait till they get married but they have some time to hate each other before they become one and are force to love each other for the rest of their lives.

Peeta and I on the other hand, we drifted apart for a few months. He got closer to Delly, his childhood best friend, and I think they were dating for a few months. He denies it but I definitely think they were dating. The way he looked at her, I would know because he used to look at me that way.

I always thought the reason me and Peeta drifted was because I was a virgin and I wanted to keep it that way until I got married and that he was ready and he couldn't be a Virgin any longer. He couldn't wait for me.

They must think I was stupid or something, I saw the way he touched the top of her nose before they both separated to go to work their separate ways. I saw her sneaking into Peeta's house late at night. Oh and I heard them.

When they built the houses in Victor's village they didn't make the walls very thick. From my house I can hear what's going on through the whole of the district. And the walls are not very sound-proof, so I could hear them loud and clear.

I was so jealous of Peeta and Delly, she really likes him and I don't know why they broke up, they were good together. At least he has someone he deserved. Like Haymitch said to me, I could live a hundred life times and not deserve that boy. But I need him, I really do need him. He's the one who keeps me sane.

But now, Peeta and I couldn't be closer. We're back together happy with each other's company all the time. He keeps hinting that we should move in together but I'm not ready for that. I'm not ready for the life I have ahead of me.

I kiss Peeta's cheek before he turns around and walks back to his house; I close the door and make my way upstairs to my bedroom.

I swing the door open and strip down to my underwear and a bra. I throw a tight strappy top on, only because I'm going to bed. Even though it's December, my house is so warm. I get into bed not even putting bottoms on, just wearing my top.

I drift off into a peaceful sleep.

That peaceful sleep soon turns un-peaceful when I wake up thrashing around in my bed, screaming at the top of my lungs and shaking. I breathe heavily and carry on screaming and crying.

I hear loud thumps coming up the stairs and then my bedroom door flies open, only meaning it can be one person, Peeta.

He walks into my room, his hair a mess on top of his head, topless and with no shoes. He runs over to my bed and climbs in besides me. He rubs my shoulders and whispers sweet nothings into my ear.

I snuggle my head into his bare chest as he moves me onto his lap. I cry a little onto his bare skin before I feel his hand running through my hair. This has always calmed me down,

I manage to let a quiet "Thank you, Peeta," escape my lips as he rubs my shoulders again.

He moves me off his lap and kisses my forehead. "Get some sleep now, it's only 3am." He says. He lets out a little yawn which causes me to yawn.

He stands up off the bed but I grab his hand and pull him back down. "Peeta, will you stay with me?" He gets back under the covers and I snuggle up beside him, tangling our legs with each other's, my head on his chest and his protective arms around my small, fragile, broken, scarred body. I drift off into a peaceful night's sleep. But before I do I hear him whisper something into my hair, "Always."