Chapter One: Fruit of the Myth

Long ago in an era where humans were yet to exist, there has been a tale of two divine spirits whose paths crossed one day while they were venturing onto the earth: the goddess of life, and the god of death. 

Due to her divine beauty, the goddess of the sun, Chira, was well known throughout the heavens, the lands, the seas, and even the underworld. Several gods have tried their chances with the said goddess but failed in capturing her heart for she never needed a man in her divinity.

It was not a secret to her that some weren't after her for love, but because of the fact that she is the goddess that takes control of life. She provides life to every living creature that existed on the planet. The Queen of the Gods is but another name titled upon her superiority. Even so, she never considered any other god inferior to her but of equal capabilities.

There were days she was bored by sitting down on her throne that she walks down to the land to admire the living beings that depend on her for life. As she set on her journey, she met the god of the underworld, Amara.

Known to be the most terrifying of all gods, Amara was feared throughout the different realms. Because of the fear that has lived within everyone's heart at the mention of his name, their minds never opened to learn about the true and gentle nature of the god. 

As the two deities collide, a priceless bond was formed. Love ever so slowly crept through the gaps that differed the two divine beings as their hearts were pulled together by the strings of fate neither of them knew of. 

Before the two completely dwelled into each other, Chira pulled away. She knew for a fact that if she was to join hearts with the god, catastrophe would take place for life should never mingle with death. The two lovers were realms apart and are the complete opposite of each other; one brings life, and the other brings death.

They could never be together thus the love they share with each other only goes to a certain extent. Knowing this fact, the two decided to return to their own realms to prevent themselves from falling into the hands of temptations and destroying the cycle of life.

Because their love knew no boundary and therefore infinite, Chira decided to create the human race. Mortal creatures who in time, would reach the end of the cycle and therefore be sent into the underworld where they would reside with Amara. She created the humans as gifts to the god she loves most.

There was one person, though, that differs from the rest of the race. Chira selects one person for every generation whom she blesses with an ability unknown to the others. Amara having known of this shares his power to the said human as well. For every generation that comes, the chosen person serves as the child of the two deities who can never be together; a product of the love that can never be fulfilled.

The lucky human would not just possess foreign magic but also the guidance of the gods. Despite such gift—

"How old were you again?" You jumped in surprise as you almost dropped the stone tablet in your hands when a voice unexpectedly filled the entirety of your room. You cradled the tablet in your arms as you turned around to look at your elder sister.

She leaned by the doorway, arms crossed in front of her chest as she watched you. Amusement was evident on her face. "Don't scare me like that!" You whined, sending her a half glare. Chuckling in response, she pushed herself off your doorway and made her way towards you. You gently placed the stone tablet on the shelf beside your bed.

You felt your sister sit beside you as you neatly arranged the tablets in order. "You'll never get tired of reading those, won't you?" She asked, grabbing a strand of your gold highlights, twisting it around her fingers. "You've had me read those for you when you were younger, and until now, you're still fond of it."

"I am the fruit of that myth," you answered. "It is only reasonable that I grew to love the story."

The Divine Child was who you were. Daughter of the previous human the great goddess Chira has chosen and the younger sister of the first queen to ever rule your lands. You turned to watch your sister fondly playing with your hair. Even with the dim lights cast by the torches attached to the wall, her beauty gleamed brightly.

Noticing the way you stared at her, she glanced at you, making you avert your gaze. Sighing as she dropped your hair, she spoke, "You've grown to be a fine woman with a charm that could surpass mine." She placed a hand on top of the sheets sprawled across your single bed and shifted her weight towards it, leaning back in the process. One of her legs gracefully crossed on top of the other as she stared at you.

"You've already passed the age of legality and therefore can marry. Any thoughts about it?" Your eyes widened at the mention of marriage. You knew this day would come where your sister would ask you about it but it is not one thing you anticipated. Sheepishly, you rubbed the hairline above your neck as you slowly glanced at her.

"You know that marrying isn't really part of my plans, right?" You replied. You wanted to be a free creature. You wanted to voyage; to go to places unheard of your kingdom. Yes, you were the princess but you were never next in line to the throne. Your sister was healthy and will one day be married, then before you know it, she'll have children who'd be the ones to take her place when the time comes.

There are moments you felt like you were just a display to your land; a treasure made to solely be admired. You knew you were more than that but in this place, you were treated like a baby. You knew your sister loved you so much, she wants what she knows is best for you so she protected you like you were a feeble child, but that's one thing you weren't. You were strong, you had powers, you are the child of the gods; daughter of both heaven and underworld.

But in the end, you knew you couldn't travel. You knew you couldn't leave this place for this land needed you just as much as they needed their queen. This land was bounty because of you. You were the greatest blessing it received for the goddess looks after this land just as much as she looks after you.

Your sister gave a big sigh in defeat as she stood off your bed. "Well, no use in forcing you to do something that might make you unhappy," she said. "But just so you know, the great goddess Chira rejected all the Gods that ran after her but when she met Amara, you knew what happened."

Raising your brows as you glanced at her, you asked, "You are saying?" You remembered what was written in the tablets: she never needed a man in her divinity. She chuckled in response before answering, "No one can choose who they fall for. When they fall, or how they fall, or why."

Your eyes automatically rolled back at your sister's statement causing her laughter to fill your room. It's not like you don't believe in love. It's just that if it ever comes to your life, you want it to be natural, not forced. You want it to gradually take place, not rushed.

You stared at her as you wait for her laughter to die down. When she noticed what you were doing, she quickly collected herself and fanned a hand to her face. "My, that was a good laugh," she said. She wiped a few sweats that gathered on her forehead when she was almost dying of laughter. 

Once all calm, she stood in front of you. "Well, guess we can call this a day," her hands reached to pat the top of your head. "Goodnight," she said, her voice laced with gentle as she leaned forward to kiss your forehead. A smile formed upon your lips as hers pressed against your forehead. It was a gesture too sweet for you to ignore.

"Goodnight, Nefera," you replied.