Chapter 20

"Jaemin, it's just a rumor." Jeno said, trying to comfort his best friend. They were standing at their lockers as everyone else was heading to the cafeteria for lunch.

"Yeah, easy for you to say Mr. I'm Not Single Anymore." Jaemin snapped back. Jeno sighed as he watched his best friend aggressively shove his books into his locker.

"Mina doesn't even believe the rumors anyways." Jeno told him. Jaemin shook his head.

"She's been ignoring me all morning." Jaemin said to him, making Jeno smack him.

"You idiot, you've been ignoring her all day." Jeno argued back. Jaemin pretended not to hear him as he closed his locker, knowing that Jeno was right.

"Just visit her during photography or something." Jeno suggested as thye began making their way to the cafeteria.

"Okay, whatever." Jaemin replied, entering the line for food.

...

Haechan was shaking. He was so nervous, his leg was vibrating as he sat in the auditorium, waiting for his turn. The musical teacher wanted a head start on the auditions for today, so for musical theatre today, she moved them to the auditorium, allowing the students so complete their auditions in class.

He watched as Soojung effortlessly completed her audition, making her way back to her spot beside him.

"How was it?" Soojung whispered to him. He gave her a thumbs up with his shaky hand, making her giggle.

"Don't be nervous, you'll be fine." She told him. Haechan returned her words with a glare.

"Easy for you to say, you do this all the time." Haechan hissed. The teached called his name, signalling his turn.

"Good luck!" Soojung said as Haechan dragged his feet up to the stage. He stood in the centre, the microphone in his hand. He took a deep breath, focusing on the seats at the very back of the auditorium. The teacher nodded to the pianist, signalling the start of the song Haechan had chosen, Purpose by Justin Bieber.

As the notes of the piano began playing in his ears, he felt himself calm down, getting absorbed in the music. He sung the first note beautifully, forgetting about the world around him as he sang. Before he knew it, the song was over and the class applauded for him.

As he returned back to the reality of the auditorium, he felt weak in the knees. The teacher called up the next student as he made his way back down to his seat.

"Wow, that was amazing." Soojung said as he collapsed in his seat.

"I feel sick." Haechan said as he stared blankly in front of him. Soojung patted him lightly on the back.

"You're just shy." Soojung said, chuckling to herself. Haechan grabbed her hand from his back, giving it a tight squeeze, making Soojung freeze in her spot. He released her hand, placing it back on her thigh.

"What was that for?" Soojung asked the male beside her. Haechan shrugged.

"I don't feel sick anymore." Haechan responded, smirking as he watched the rest of auditions.

...

Jaemin paced outside the newspaper room, his camera around his neck. He was debating what to say as he walked back and forth running different scenarios in his head. His thoughts were cut short though, as the the door opened, Mina walking outside.

"Oh." Mina said as they locked eyes. She quickly put her head down, quickly walking down the halls. Jaemin paused for a second before chasing her.

"Mina, wait!" Jaemin yelled. He watched as Mina stopped in her tracks, her back to him. Jaemin caught up to her, placing himself across from her.

"Look, I'm sorry for ignoring you. The rumor... It just hit hard for me." Jaemin said, scratching the back of the neck. His words came out weird and he wanted to slap himself for forgetting all the words he had rehearsed in his head.

"Its okay." Mina said softly, eyes glued to the group. Jaemin sighed as he tried to fix his words.

"Mina, I really feel bad and I don't want this rumor to ruin our friendship." Jaemin explained. Mina nodded.

"Is that all you have to say?" Mina asked, finally looking up into his eyes. Jaemin thought for a moment before responding.

"Yeah, I guess." Jaemin said, not sounding very sure of himself.

"Okay, can I go to the washroom first then?" Mina asked, pointing the the washroom doors behind him. Oh, that's probably why she left. Jaemin realized.

"Yeah, for sure." Jaemin said, giving her a small smile. Mina quickly ran to the washroom.

When she came out, she had a bright smile on her face as she skipped towards Jaemin, linking arms with him.

"I need your help, Mr. Photographer." Mina said as they made their way towards the newspaper room.

"What is it?" Jaemin asked the girl as she opened the door.

"We need to visit the music class." Mina said, grabbing her notebook from her desk before heading out again.

"For what?" Jaemin questioned.

"An article on the school's newest couple." Mina replied, a bright smile on her face.

———————————————————————————

Jaemin looks really really realllyyyy good here hehehe