CHAPTER 1 - NIGHTMARES

It was an exceptionally dark night and the road was empty.

     With every kilometre towards her destination, Sun Ha Yun repeatedly hoped with desperation that her worst fear was not happening. She ignored the speed limit sign as she continued to press harder on the gas pedal.

     Please don't be there. Please don't be there. Not there please, Soo-Jin.

     As Ha Yun scanned the side of the bridge, her heart dropped. The lights were blinking like an S.O.S. Soo-Jin was standing eerily at the other side of the bridge. 

     Ha Yun parked the car and ran desperately towards Soo-Jin. The empty comfort words, and the frozen pictures of happiness on the cold bridge handrail brushed passed her in a blur. The lifeless, cold, statue of comfort failed to catch on to her.

    When Soo-Jin heard Ha Yun's heavy footsteps, she turned to look at Ha Yun with an unreadable expression. That was the first time that Ha Yun couldn't sense any emotion from anyone.

    Ha Yun tried to calm her raging heart as she spoke, "Soo-Jin, there you are. I have been searching for you all night." She tried her best to smile but she knew it was wavering.

"Ha Yun ssaem." Soo-Jin's voice was shaky and weak. Ha Yun finally recognized sadness in Soo-Jin's voice. She breathed a sigh of relief. Good, she was responsive.

"Soo-Jin, come over here please. You are scaring me." Ha Yun stretched out her hand and slowly stepped closer to Soo-Jin.

     Ha Yun's advance instantly cleared the sadness out of Soo-Jin's eyes, replaced with fear. She let go one of her arms from the handrail. Ha Yun felt her heart lunged and she stopped walking.

     Soo-Jin was barely holding on using one arm. But to her, that one arm was the chain that kept her from the world of no pain that she desperately wanted to escape to.

"Aga, it is going to be okay. What is hurting you will stop." Ha Yun pleaded to Soo-Jin. 

     She recalled the numerous occasions and conversations she had with Soo-Jin to convince her that she was loved and things would turn out fine someday.

"Ssaem, I am tired. The pain doesn't stop. It never does." Tears streamed down Soo-Jin's innocent face.

"It will! One day it will. All this will pass. Believe me, please." Ha Yun wished that Soo-Jin will continue to believe in her even for a little while longer because the night doesn't last forever.

"But, ssaem. I don't want to wait for tomorrow anymore. There is nothing chaining me to this world anymore. Let me go!" She burst out.

"Soo-Jin, let's talk about it. Don't make a bad decision." Ha Yun sensed the worst so she dashed towards Soo-Jin.

Soo-Jin looked at Ha Yun with that unreadable expression again and smiled sadly. "Thank you for coming to see me off, ssaem. Goodbye." And she crossed that border of the non-living.

"No, Soo-Jin!!" Ha Yun woke up screaming in tears. 

    She struggled to calm her shallow fast breaths as she tried to make sense between the nightmare and her reality. She looked at her trembling outstretched hands and remembered the helpless feeling as she watched Soo-Jin's final moment. With a sigh, she pushed herself up and moved her wavy black long hair off from her sweaty neck.

     She looked around at her dim lit bedroom as the moonlight shone through. The moon looked exactly the same as the moon on that dreadful night as she dialed the police with her trembling hands. As she waited and cried helplessly in the darkness that seemed like forever, she felt a coldness crept into her heart. 

     And it had never left her since.

     Although the incident happened last year, Ha Yun still suffered from nightmares. 

    She concluded the night of the incident that the greatest danger of a human is human themselves and only love from another living presence with strong relationship can hope to dissuade suicide thoughts. Comforting words, although with good intention were like wind passing. Just like the empty polite "How are you?".

      It took her some time to get herself back to sleep. It will be another busy day tomorrow. She needed all the rest she could get.

(WORD COUNT: 706)

**********************************************************

Author's note: 

***I know it is dark from the first page but this is an important part and you will get to the good and exciting part next. 

***I heard Ha Yun saved a BTS member's life. Who is it? Your bias?..hehehe

***Please like, comment and vote if you like my story. Thanks :-)