I. The Talk

*** edited by nicolelaurise

Please check out her profile 😇

Athena

I was lying in bed, looking at the white ceiling adorned with a crystal chandelier. The room was dark and could see the sky darkening away from the French windows on my balcony.

I was bored or perhaps confused. I just graduated from Harvard with a Master's degree in Business Management, and I do nothing but sit around all day. Ironic, right!

I want a job, but my father wants me to take over his business so he can retire early. That's not even of any interest to me. I really want to do what I love. I don't want to take over the business. My father doesn't seem to care about what I want though. I went to school and got a degree in what he wanted, but it was of no interest to me. I want to be a pastry chef or at least a food blogger.

I laid here for a long time pondering about what I really wanted and how I was going to do it. Resigning, I sighed to myself, I wonder when I am going to have to start at Walker Industries.

"Enna come down dear!" I heard my mum's sweet voice call out. She's a very sweet person, I love her so much but don't be deceived by her sweet motherly talks, she can also turn into a devil if we get on her bad side.

I got up from my bed and checked the clock, it was almost seven. I guess I spent a lot of time daydreaming.

I rushed to the bathroom, washed my face, and tied my long black hair into a high pony. I was wearing a simple t-shirt and black track pants, comfort is all that matters to me.

I heard someone banging on my door. "Enna what are you doing? Come out fast, guests are waiting downstairs to see you" my sister Alex said sounding annoyed.

But who is here to see me at this hour? I thought to myself.

I opened the door and saw the familiar chocolate brown eyes of my sister. She had the same eyes as my mom and me. She stood there with her arms folded across her chest, tapping her right leg against the wooden floor impatiently.

"What do you want?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows; walking past her to grab my phone off of my desk.

"Did you forget that the Kingstons are having dinner with us?" she asked, sounding amused while cocking her eyebrow at me.

I stopped in my tracks, realizing that I wasn't dressed appropriately for this dinner. I groaned and went over to my closet to hunt for a dress.

I heard Alex chuckle and walk inside.

"Need any help sissy?" she asked playfully.

I rolled my eyes "You could've offered it a bit earlier" I grumbled.

After rummaging through my dresses I finally found a crème lace sleeveless dress that reached my knees. My hair was already tied and I didn't have time for doing my makeup so I quickly applied light pink lipstick to avoid looking dull. perfect

Without wasting a minute, I put on brown slingback heels and grabbed Alex's hand. "Come on. Let's go." I told her as I hurriedly pulled her out of the room.

We went downstairs and walked into the dining room. Everyone stopped talking at once, focusing their attention on me. I felt so small under their gazes. There were two faces I didn't recognize though. Maybe they were Mr & Mrs Kingston, I thought.