Ch. 20

It's Wednesday, and I'm now walking into the café on Johnston and Ines to meet the man on the dating app. I picked the busiest time of the day to meet him, considering I don't really want to be in a less populated area with meeting a stranger for the first time. When I push the door open, it dings and the line almost reaches the door. I look around the area to see if I see my 'date' either in line or at a table. I smile softly as I see the man I'm searching for sitting at a table, scrolling through his phone and sipping his coffee. He's not a catfish, thank the heavens. There's a muffin and a latte cup sitting across from him and I know that seat belongs to me.

I walk over to him and quietly clear my throat. He looks up at me and his eyes instantly light up as I begin to speak. "Hi."

"Hi." He stands and extends his hand to me. "It's so nice to finally meet you."

I place my palm in his and gently shake it. "Likewise. I'm Harlow, but people call me Harly."

"I'm Jaebeom, but feel free to call me JB."

I nod, about to pull out my seat to sit, but he does that for me. Definitely something I'm not use to. I smile, sitting. "Thank you."

"My pleasure." For a moment, we're silent but it isn't awkward. Oddly, it's rather comforting. I use this as my opportunity to try my latte and I'm very pleased that he remembers what I said I liked. I hum in satisfaction and before I set the cup back down. I notice he's looking at me, and he smiles. "I'm sorry, you're just so much more beautiful in person."

I look down, smiling shyly at his words. "If my skin allowed it, I'd be blushing so hard right now."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "I'll take your word for it. So, shall we get to know each other a little better now that we know that we are who we say we are?"

"Yeah, that sounds good." I nod.

"Okay." He nods with me, clearing his throat. "I guess you can call my first question a cliché one, but what made you want to look for somebody on a dating app?"

"It's faster than the old school way, you know? Being able to match with someone online before meeting them is kind of convenient."

"Most definitely. I've been dating for a while, so when they finally began to develop platforms to do so, it became less stressful. You're young, too. Any reason you're looking for someone as old as I am?"

The million dollar question that I knew was coming. "Guys my age suck."

He laughs and the sound is very beautiful. I smile and he begins to speak again. "I guess I can agree and say I'm in the same boat. The women my age aren't that exciting."

"How so?" I asked, curiously.

"Most woman have already settled down, or want to. I'm not opposed to that. I would love to settle and have children, but it's hard when it seems like the women I attract want to hook up and move on. Maybe it's just me."

"You seem like such an amazing man. I don't see who wouldn't want to settle down with you."

"You'd be the first to think that."

I feel bad for Jaebeom. He looks like he's ready for a commitment with the right person. He's sweet, charming, handsome, and seems like he'd be a great husband and father. So why are these women wasting his time?

"You know," He pulls me from my thoughts and I give him my full attention. "I've been looking for someone for a while, of my age and younger. You're the first person in a long time that's actually given me the chance to show who I am as a person and not just a handsome face or what's inside my pants. It kind of shocked me with you being younger. You're different."