Ch. 40

I take a deep breath as I look out of the window of Jaebeom's car. The ride to his house is silent, but it isn't uncomfortable. We grabbed some chicken and a few sides from the local chicken joint and decided to have lunch at his house. I missed being there. As we get closer to his house, my heart rate picks up. This is it.

A few minutes pass and we're pulling into his driveway. I don't notice I'm clutching the bag that holds the food until he softly places his hand on top of my clenched ones. "Hey, I can see your tension. It's okay."

I nod, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

"No worries." He exits the car and I wait for him to open the door for me. He takes the bag from my hands and assists me out as well. "Here."

I take his hand and step out of the car. I follow him into his home and am lead to the kitchen, where he gets some dishes for us to use for our food. The whole time, I'm sitting just staring into space. There is no easy way to say what I'm going to say, but it needs to be done. I have to do this because he deserves nothing but honesty.

Once he sits and we have food on our plates, we eat. It's so silent, but if I don't eat first, I won't be able to afterward. He doesn't complain about the silence and I'm thankful for that. I know he has a ton of questions running through his mind, and I hope I'm able to put them at ease, at least.

"So," He finally speaks up. "I have to say, I was surprised to see you call me."

"It was very sporadic. I'm sorry if I ruined any plans."

"It's okay. Just a lunch break that I was able to squeeze in time with you. I've missed you."

Don't do this to me, Jaebeom. Don't do it. I swallow the lump in my throat as I take a shaky breath. There is no question that I have missed him too, but now I feel scared to even say anything to him.

"I've missed you, too. So much."

He smiles at me, finishing his food and wiping his hands on his napkin. "The reason you wanted to talk. I can only assume you made up your mind, and it can be one of two things."

"Yeah, I have."

"I will be okay with whatever you decide. Because either way, you are getting to your happiness. That's all I can ask for."

"Jaebeom, please." I just about whisper. "Jaebeom, I love you. But-"

He gets up from his chair and walks over to me, pulling me up to stand, and placing his lips on mine. We move slowly against each other and I feel a tear slip from my eyes. I know this kiss. This is the "goodbye" kiss. This is the last time I will ever kiss this man. And deep down, I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss him.

He slowly pulls away from me, wiping away my tears. "I love you, Harlow. And I love you enough to also let you go. You have a history with Namjoon that I will never understand, and you also have a future with Namjoon that I will not get in the way of. I can keep my business professional with him because that is something separate. I just want you to be happy., and if that's with Namjoon, then that's okay.

"It may take some time for me to lose these feelings for you, but I will do that. I love you and I will miss you, princess." He places a kiss to my forehead and grabs my hand. "Let me take you home."

I nod, letting him lead the way.

It's done. I didn't even need to say much. I truly do appreciate Jaebeom for who he is, and I just pray that a special woman comes along to make him the happiest man alive. It may not have been me, be he truly deserves all the best.

On my way back home, we never let each other's hand go. I'm savoring this moment, and so is he. "Thank you."

"For?" He asks.

"Everything." I say. "You showed me how I am supposed to be loved. You gave me that in such a short amount of time. I'll never forget that. You deserve every good thing that comes your way, and I can't wait for the next woman to sweep you off your feet."

He smiles, nodding at me. "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to show you how to be loved. I wish I could have given you more, but I understand where your heart is. And it isn't with me. Just promise me that you'll never settle for anything less than what you deserve."

"I promise." I say. "I will keep that promise to the day I die."

Shortly after, we pull up to my house and he let's me out of the car. We hug for what feels like a lifetime. I almost don't want to leave his embrace, but I have to. For all of us. We finally disconnect and I kiss his lips one last time.

"Thank you. Please take care of yourself." I say.

"I will." He replies. "You too, princess."

With one last kiss to the back of my hand, he goes and gets into his car. I watch as he drives into the distance and out of sight. It's such an odd feeling. I don't feel sadness. I feel thankful, if anything. I'm thankful that I got to know Jaebeom. I'm thankful that I got to love Jaebeom. I'm thankful that he is the man that he is, and that he is so understanding. I make my final wish that he lives the best life he can and that he is able to find his true love and start the family he has always wanted. It may sound cliché and I may say it over and over, but he truly deserves that. I want that for him.

I got through my day like normal. I go for a walk, I eat dinner, I shower, and I catch up on my shows. By the time I finish, it's nearly 2 in the morning. "Shit."

I video call Namjoon, it's about 3pm there and he should be available. He answers and I can't stop the huge smile that creeps onto my face when I see him.

"Hey, Harly."

"Hi." I say.

"It's late." He observes. "Is everything okay?"

I shrug. "Yeah, Im fine. I was watching my show and lost track of time. What's going on with you?"

"Nothing, headed back to my parents to pick up the kids."

"Namjoon, I love you." I blurt out and the smile that graces his face when I say it sends butterflies to my stomach.

"I love you. And I have been waiting to hear you say that." His dimples take up the whole screen. "I wish I was there to kiss you. It's been so long."

"I know."

"Harlow, will you let me call you mine?"

"Of course." I smile harder, as if my smile couldn't get any bigger. "I've waited quite a while to hear that."

"I'm sorry it took so long. I promise, I'll make it up to you."

"Uh, yeah." I laugh. "You have quite a bit of making up to do, Namjoon Kim."

His laugh is music to my ears as the butterflies in my stomach are having a field day. This is the man of my dreams, if you can believe that. Our story is very odd and it is unlike anyone else's, but that's what makes us special. That is what makes our love so unique. And I can't wait to be able to fully give myself to this man. The man that I just couldn't help but fall in love with.

Namjoon opens the door to his parents house and I can hear Jaesun yelling as he runs toward Namjoon.

"Daddy's home!"

THE END

Yes, I updated 4 times in 24 hours & I can't believe we are at the very end! I know y'all have been on such an emotional roller coaster today 😭 Thank you so much for sticking with this story, & always telling me your thoughts. I love you so so much!!!! I have a special chapter after this & then that'll be it! What do you think the special chapter is? Let me know!

This has been 'Daddy's Home' ❤❤❤

.
.
~S.xx