Ch. 27

This is some kind of cruel joke, isn't it? Why out of the blue is my so called "mother" trying to come into my life? I don't need that stress, and I don't need her. I'm 25 and have been fine with just my dad this far. I had to teach myself the ways of being a black woman in this world, and although I have my many short comings, I have managed. I've managed all without having a mother. And I will continue to manage without her.

I've been sitting in this spot for a good 2 hours, thinking about this bullshit. My phone rings next to me and I look over to see that number calling back. Jada is calling again and I'm frozen, just looking at my ringing phone. I can't move and it's a good thing I can't because if I were to answer that phone, I might cuss her out.

My phone stops ringing and I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. I don't know what to think but my heart hurts. I can't stop the tear that escapes from my eye and rolls down my cheek. More follow and I find myself full on sobbing. Why does this hurt so bad? I don't even know her, and I don't want it to hurt like this.

There's a soft knock on my door and I stop my crying, wiping my tears quickly and going to open my door for whichever kid it is. To my surprise, it's Namjoon. His eyes hold sadness and there's no telling how long he was standing on the other side of the door.

"Harlow," he starts. "May I come in?"

I nod, opening the door and motioning toward the bed. He steps in and takes a seat on the edge of the bed. I close the door and take a seat next to him. My phone rings again, but this time, it's my dad. I just watch as it rings and when it ends, I hear Namjoon lightly sigh.

"May I ask what's wrong?" He says. "This is the first time I've seen you ignore a call from your father."

"Can I confide in you?" I sniff.

He nods. "Absolutely."

"I'll start with a question." He nods, waiting on me to continue. "How's your relationship with your mother?"

"Very well, actually." He says, but with confusion in his tone.

I nod, taking a deep breath. "My so called 'mother' called me."

"Your what?" He says with wide eyes. "But you said you didn't know her."

"And I don't." I confirm. "This is the first time I had heard her voice and learned her name."

"And how do you feel about that?"

"Lost, confused, hurt, pissed." I name just a few. "I want to know why she left me, but I want nothing to do with her at the same time. I don't want to meet her."

"Then you won't get the answers you strive for. I won't tell you what to do, but I can suggest that you hear me out and just talk to her. Just once, if you need to. You need answers to all your questions."

"But why now?" My voice cracks and tears threaten to leave my eyes once more. "Why after so long?"

"I wish I could help you answer that, but I can't. What I can answer is that maybe she has a good reason. Maybe she's gotten herself together and realizes how much she misses you, and maybe even needs you."

"I don't need her." I say stubbornly.

Namjoon softly chuckles. "You sound just like Soojin. I know you and my kids have different situations, but I hear a lot of Jin in your words. If the girl wasn't afraid of getting in trouble, I know she would curse Jiwon's name. But the same thing I have said to her, I will say to you. No, you don't need to interact with your mother the way she wants you to for her own benefit, but do it because you want to. Do it because you demand the answers you deserve."