TWENTY ONE!

TWENTY ONE!

☆彡

LENNY RUSHED TO her seat in the theatre, her blood rushing with excitement. she and neil had spent many nights discussing their futures, and neil had a passion for acting. she knew that when neil got an idea in his head, he wouldn't let it go.

charlie took his seat next to her, wrapping an arm around the girl's shoulders when some boy's gaze lingered on her a little too long. she couldn't help the adrenaline building up in her blood. she was happy to see one of her boy's doing something they loved.

she clapped excitedly as the curtains opened, revealing neil in his costume. she watched intently, her eyes trained in her best friend. the theatre was silent, everyone watching carefully as they acted out one of shakespeare's masterpieces.

when the show ended, lenny gave the boy a standing ovation, applauding him and throwing a single rose in his direction. he gave her a proud smile, rushing off stage to get to his friends. she noticed that his smile dropped, and there was now a prominent frown settled on it.

she looked behind her, finding neil's father stood behind the group. she hid her face in charlie's shoulder. the one good night that neil got, and he wouldn't be able to enjoy it because of that horrid man. lenny had never liked the boy's father. he reminded her too much of her mother, and she hated that.

she watched as neil sadly made her way towards his father, his head dropping in shame. lenny knew he had nothing to be ashamed of, he was a brilliant actor and even more brilliant young man. she grabbed charlie's hand, pulling him out of the theatre and towards where neil was leaving with his father.

mr keating tried talking to mr perry, but the man simply shrugged him off with an aggressive comment, blaming neil's rebellion on him. lenny scoffed a little too loudly, putting mr perry's attention on her. "you have something to say missie?" he was far too close for her liking, and she was ready to attack the man.

"yes actually i do. your son was the most brilliant actor in that play. he was astounding and i am so proud of that boy right there. maybe if you cared about what your son wanted, he wouldn't have to go behind your back to do things. did it ever occur to you that he had actual talent? that he had amazing potential? no. because you care more about what these prestigious families think of you than your own son's feelings. to me, you are a terrible father, and an even worse man."

she moved around the man, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and pulling him into a tight embrace. she whispered in his ear that he did amazing, and that she loved him dearly. she allowed dotty to do the same, pulling her boyfriend tightly into her.

the two girls linked arms, waiting for harriet and strutting off down the street. she knew the boys would soon follow, so they just walked away as if lenny hadn't just completely ruined her ladylike reputation. she was proud of herself in a way. she felt like she was standing up to her own mother, and that gave her power she never thought she'd feel.

she decided that she would sneak out if welton that night, and make her way to neil's house. the two had been friends for many years, and she was the only one who could be strong enough for bother of them. she had seen neil break down before, and held her shoulder out for him to cry on.

this was her best friend, she wasn't about to let him go through this alone.

☆彡