.one.

"Zukoooo, you're not breathing like I told you to." The young girl whined, age 8. Her eyelashes fluttered softly as she looked around the dirt training ground, then to her companion.

"There's only one way to breath, y/n!" The young boy, prince Zuko, pouted losing his fire bending stance entirely. The young girl laughed, pacing her way over to Zuko's stiff form.

"That's not true, silly. You asked me to share my training with you, so follow my lead." She mumbled. The girl was a true prodigy, more talented than even Azula. She was born with it, and in turn, she was subject to training every single day.

Y/n stood closely behind Zuko, so close that he shivered at her breath on the back of his ear. She moved his black ponytail to the side so she could rest her head on his shoulder.

"Stand up straight, take a stance, look forward." She directed. Zuko followed her blindly, a blush adoring his face just under his bright gold eyes.

Y/n placed her hand on his stomach.

"Fire bending is all about breath, that's what Zhao told me. Breathe in, and I want to feel your stomach go all the way in." Zuko did as told.

"Now out, and push your stomach allllll the way out." The little girl chirped. And he did. The two continued the exercise for a few more minutes before y/n pulled away.

"Now breath like that everytime you fire bend." She said, resuming her previous stance.

Y/n's stance shifted as she outstretched her hand, bright blue flames erupted from her fist, into the air, then disappeared. She watched as Zuko mimicked her, producing his own, smaller puff of flames.

"I wish I could just train with you." Y/n mumbled. She never enjoyed the way Zhao taught. He showed no patience and didn't tolerate learning mistakes. Y/n had many scars and bandaged wounds under her kimono. She didn't dare show anyone though, in fear that she would be cast out the palace.

"And I wish I could just train with you." Zuko responded solemnly.

"Y/n!" Azula called out, entering the lush area with Mai and Ty Lee.

"Do you want to come play with us? We need another player!" She called out, her little voice just a smug as ever. Y/n was never interested in playing with the girls, they were too rough and striking for her. She didn't like mean games. She preferred to play with Zuko, for he was so soft and caring.

"No way! Y/n and I are training right now." Zuko yelled, not fond of the idea of Azula stealing y/n from him.

"Oh come on! I know you don't want to hang out with my smelly brother all day!" Azula stated, showing an expression of disgust.

"Actually I-" Suddenly y/n was snatched up by the arm.

"Need to be training." General Zhao growled. His large hands dug deep into her wrist. It wasn't hard to notice that Zhao had a special hatred for the little girl he was forced to train

Y/n squeaked in pain, clutching her shoulder as she was lifted from the ground.

"But we are training!" Zuko whined.

"She needs to be training with someone physically competent, your highness." He said, placing y/n on the ground.

"Kids! We have a message from Uncle Iroh!" Zuko and Azula's mother called out from inside the palace. Her soft voice rang out through the open area, causing small birds to fly away. The two immediately ran to the door, Zuko giving y/n a sympathetic glance before leaving the outside area. And once they were gone, y/n was pulled away by the general.

It wasn't fair, it wasn't fair that Zuko and Azula, and all the princesses got to read the letters from Iroh together while y/n was lead off to be beaten into the ground until she was a master at the fundamentals of fire bending. She lived in the castle, and was treated as family by some, but at the end of the day, she wasn't royal, just respected. She didn't have claims to the royal family, she was a rogue, an orphan. She didn't have rights, she was bound to whatever the generals and royals said was true.

Her life in the Fire Kingdom was wearing her willingness thin, but what else was there for her to do?