.epilogue.

Y/n woke up slowly, feeling the sun filter it's way through the white curtains in the bedroom. She exhaled softly, stretching slightly. One of her hands came up from under the silk bedsheets to rub at her eyes until her vision was clear.

Immediately y/n smiled as her eyes trailed over Zuko's sleeping form. His hair was messy, tickling her stomach as he laid there. Y/n ran her hands through his hair a couple times, giggling at the way he smiled in his sleep.

"Are you having fun with yourself up there?" Zuko mumbled softly, tightening his arms around her waist. Y/n giggled a little louder as he opened his eyes.

"Maybe."
Zuko groaned as he lifted himself off of y/n, crawling up so he was hovering face to face with her.

It had been a couple months since y/n's funeral, and in that time things were getting back to normal. Y/n's rebirth was publicly announced and so was her assumption of the Dragon Guardian role. The fire Nation Soliders were being recalled from the other nations. And Zuko was crowned the new Fire Lord.

"You're really beautiful, have I ever told you that?" He asked, eyes still lidded sleepily.

"You sure about that? I just woke up." Y/n laughed.

"Very sure." Zuko stated, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Beautiful, capable, talented, strong." He pressed a kiss to her face with ever adjective he let fall from his lips.

"You're such a flatterer." Y/n mumbled, bringing her hands up to grasp his face. Y/n pulled him into a warm kiss, smiling the entire time. When he pulled away, he burried his face against the crook of her neck, holding her tight.

"You smell good." He said against her skin.

"I love you." Y/n giggled.

"I love you too, now get dressed, we're going to my uncle's shop." Zuko mumbled, getting up and out of the bed.

"Noooo Zuko come back, you're warm." Y/n whined. She yelped as a pillow collided with her face.

"You're a fire bender, warm yourself." He scoffed. Y/n gasped dramatically, sitting up with her hand over her heart.

"Is that any way to speak to your Dragon Guardian?" She asked.

"Is that any way to speak to your Fire Lord?" Zuko smirked. Y/n blushed, crossing her arms.

"Now get dressed." He laughed.
________

Y/n smiled as a cup of tea was placed infront of her. Zuko chuckled as he handed out the other cups to their friends that were also seated around the table.

"It was nice of you to close the shop for us, Iroh." Y/n commented, taking a sip of her tea. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Sokka and Suki snickering excitedly.

"A well, Zuko asked me to." Iroh smiled.

"And it was nice of you to agree." Zuko smiled as he slid next to y/n, pressing a kiss to her temple.

"Come with me, I have something to show you." Zuko said fondly, grabbing both of her hands. Y/n stood from her seat, following him to the middle of the shop.

"Stand here." Zuko said, now looking a little nervous. He began shifting, as if he was antsy.

"Zuko! Stop moving, I'm trying to capture the moment.!" Sokka yelled, scribbling away at the table.

"What moment...? Zuko what's going on? Why are you so nervous? And everyone in this room's spirit is screaming 'I'm excited', did I miss something here?" Y/n asked, a little frustrated as if now.

Zuko let out a nervous laugh, grabbing y/n's hands again.

"Y/n, you know I love you, right?" He said, a blush adorning his face.

"Yeah...?"

"And you know I would do anything for you."

"Yeah...? Zuko are you trying to break up with me?" She asked, trying to find a reason as to why he was acting so weird.

"No! Nonono, of course not..... I'm already messing this up." He mumbled. Zuko took at glance at his friends, feeling a little more confident when they flashed him reassuring smiles.

"Y/n, I've known you all my life, and during that time you've only wanted the best for me. You stuck with me through everything, even when you didn't want me around. I love everything about you, and everyday I learn something new about you..." y/n's eyes widened as Zuko slowly hiked up his kimono and took a knee. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a metal box. Opening the box, he presented her with a beautiful pearl engagement ring.

Y/n took a step back, eyes wide and a hand over her mouth.

"....And I'd love it if you let me continue to learn about you, for the rest of our lives.... so y/n, will you make me the happiest person alive, and marry me?"

Y/n was quiet for a moment, but as a tear slipped down her cheek, she was finally able to voice the words that were stuck in her throat.

"You spent how long making me wait? You're crazy if you think I'm gonna say no." She laughed, holding out her hand so Zuko could slip the ring on her finger. As he stood up straight, he swept her up in his arms, kissing her words away just as their friends began to cheer.

" I promise I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy, you'll never have to worry about anything ever again, I promise!" Zuko was smiling harder than he ever had, tears in his eyes.

"There's nothing that would make me happier than spending my life with you." Y/n smiled, kissing the part of his scar just under his eye.

"My kids are getting married!" Iroh yelled excitedly, embracing my he two in a hug.

"I want to help plan the wedding!" Katara yelled out.

"Oh we have to pick out a dress!" Suki yelled, joining the loud conversation.

"Momo should be the ring bearer!" Aang said proudly.

"I think they're more excited about our wedding than us." Y/n whispered happily to Zuko.

"Just...let them have their moment." He chuckled.
________

Y/n stood quietly on the balcony of the Fire Nation palace, her eyes trained on the sunset infront of her. Behind her, Zuko was holding her waist, his chin resting on the top of her head.

"If you had told me about a year ago that I was gonna be reunited with the love of my life, meet the avatar, befriend some dragons, find my family, die, and get engaged all in the same year, I'd think you were crazy." Y/n mumbled with a chuckle.

"It has been a rough couple of months for you, huh?" Zuko asked, still holding her tight.

"It's not all bad... I found you again so...." Y/n stated.

"Yeah and I gave you a run for your money." Zuko chuckled.

"Yeah, buuut, I wouldn't have it any other way. All my life I think I was wishing to be someone else. Someone with different traits. Different heritage, different personality, even a different element." Y/n freed herself from Zuko's grasp, turning so she could face him.

"I may not be a girl from Ba Sing Se like I wanted to be when I was little, but I'm overjoyed just to be yours." Zuko leaned in and kissed her gingerly, melting into her touch.

"I love you y/n, more than you'll ever know."

"I know you do, and I love you just as much. In this life and the next."

"In this life and the next."

Y/n's new life in the fire nation had only just begun, and there was so much more for her to do.