Chapter 3

"What in Stratton do you mean Corrow?" Chief asked.
"I understand it, this may be ancient wolf, but in my eyes it is not. I understand the carving." Corrow explained.
"Then tell us Corrow, what does it say?" Chief questioned.
"It says, the sun is weak, your soul is strong, the truth is out there, all night long, this message is bleak,but light and true, don't let the darkness overcome you." Corrow read.
He looked up.
"What does it mean Sir?" Solargh looked at the chief then at the slab.
"I'm not sure.."
Cara clicked.
"It's a poem!" Desron looked at her in awe.
"We just have to join it together!" Solargh Exclaimed.
"What's first?" Chief questioned.
"Well firstly I think we should start with um... Well Corrow what do you think?" Desron queried.
"Well I think we should start with Solargh's. Hers sounds like the start to me." He smirked.
"So.. Well, look it's almost as if these stones were cut from each other."
There were four long stone slabs, laid out on the caves cold floor.
"Next is Desron's, then Cara's. And lucky last mine!" Corrow explained.
He gazed upon the chief hoping for a reward, but in return he got a stern face, he was holding something in his mouth. His slab!
"We still have not translated this slab." Chief said as he placed it beneath the other slabs.
A gold beam shone around the slabs and a loud click was heard.
"Wow.." Desron said as his jaw hung open.
"What just happened?" Solargh questioned.
"Corrow your a genius!" The chief said hopping on all fours.
He looked the happiest he had been in years! Corrow stared, surprised by how much energy the chief actually had.
"No problem chief!" Corrow said proudly.
"You completed the puzzle, I've been trying to solve it for years!" Chief exclaimed.
"But what does your slab say Sir?" Solargh asked.
"It says, breeding season will be no more you fool, you made a mistake you broke a huge rule!"
Desron sniggered.
"Sounds really stu-!"
"DESRON!" Cara yelled cutting him off.
"It sounds crazy, but we can't be lugging this thing around with us wherever we go!" Corrow said. "Also remember what we smelt when the footprints stopped. Weren't you going to explain that to us chief?"
Corrow started reading the slabs just for the fun of it.
"Yes, well I don't exactly know what that smell was, but it smelt like.. Ash." He paused. "And what makes you think we will be moving around Corrow?"
Corrow looked up from the slabs.
"Well I thought we might be doing some more moving since as we have a mystery, and don't we wolves want to solve it!" He raised his paw and head to look cool.
"Seeing as no wolf has asked yet, what is ash?" Cara asked.
"Ash is the powdery residue left after the burning of a substance." Chief explained.
"Burning, but that means there would have to be fire." Desron shivered at the thought of it. "Well fire isn't impossible to make, some wolves rarely dig underground and find special buried substances with a variety of names, to make flame!" Chief debated.
"We have to leave this here at the cave!" Cara exclaimed.
"What why?" Desron questioned.
Solargh came racing into Calorb.
"Corrow is walking towards a small fire, he's mumbling the word Joliah."
Every wolf stared at Solargh.
"Come on!" She screamed.
The wolves all ran past Solargh.
"Are you coming Chief?" Solargh asked.
"You wolves are young, fearless, your ready for a challenge. I can't do that for you. But this world, it can do that for me. You know I want the best for you Solargh. The night watch was too hard on you. I'll stay here."
Solargh started to cry. "I love you Dad."
"Take this."
Solargh took the item and ran off into the darkness with the other wolves.