seven.

The week went by quickly, and Hermione was all set. Talk of the party and the guests filled the common room as she sat on the couch, reading her book on Ancient Runes.

It was already Wednesday, and Hermione had just decided what she was going as. With a little inspiration from Professor McGonagall's Animagus, Hermione had the perfect costume and disguise.

Ginny didn't bother her anymore and everything was working out perfectly. The only thing that worried her was the actual moment the she was going to muster the courage, the guts, to do what she was going to do.

All of the kids around her were talking excitedly about the guest schools arriving. The guys were all betting Galleons for who got the prettiest Vela and all of the girls were gushing over the Durmstang boys they remembered from their 4th year, as well as gossiping about what costumes they were going to wear and makeup tips. Nothing Hermione was interested in hearing.

She stood up from her spot on the couch and decided to roam the halls. The only restriction there was, was curfew, that was it. Seeing that she had a little time, she decided to check out the Great Hall and all of the decorations. Filch had been running back and forth all week, and the teachers she did see had their wands raised and were carrying or floating things from one place to another.

As she walked down the empty hall, she heard noises coming from the Great Hall. She peaked in through the door and saw Professor's McGonagall and Flitwick floating pumpkins through the air, and magicing them to stay afloat, just like the candles. Their were spiderwebs from every corner. Hagrid had let Aragog in to do those decorations, she had overheard. As she peeked in, she didn't notice the figure approach her, she was too mesmerized by the sight of the forthcoming party to be withheld, and hopefully her most magical night.

"Hrm" said someone clearing their throat behind her. She poked her head out of the door and winced.

"Hi" she said, sheepishly waving at the dark figure in front of her.

"You shouldn't be here." He said roughly. He glared at her and her face blushed. She hung her head, he always seemed to show up at the wrong times. "Go back to your rooms" he said, pointing a finger down the hall, in the direction she should be headed.

"Right... I'm, well, good evening then... Professor." She said and hurriedly walked away. She felt his gaze follow her as she retreated back to her dorms. What happened to no restrictions!? The Great Hall doors slammed shut and she turned the corner and leaned up against the wall, trying to catch her breath. She felt as is she had been running, but that wasn't the case. "How stupid!" She scolded herself, slapping her forehead.

She shook off what just happened and walked back to the common room. Students had found a way to get pumpkin juice and butterbeer in the dorms, probably thanks to Harry and Ron's secret passageway to the kitchens. She rolled her eyes and proceeded her way to her quarters in the girls dormitories.

Once inside, all of the girls were huddled around Parvati and Lavendar. They were giving makeup tips. Hermione just ignored the stares and went to her bed, closing the curtains all around. She didn't bother to change, she just laid there. She felt extremely stupid. How was she supposed to show that she was intellectually smart if she says 'Hi' and 'Good Evening' to someone she knows could care less!?

Tears prickled her eyes, she wasn't sad, she was just irritated. Every time she was around him, outside of a classroom setting, she always made a fool of herself. She was starting to think that she is just like Harry and Ron.

Maybe that's what he saw in her. A girl who was just like the people she hung around with; dumb, stupid, and worst of all, a fool.