twelve.

It was an hour until the party. He decided that he was just going as himself, but wear his Deatheaters mask.

His mind trailed back to when he felt the need to carry Miss Granger to the infirmary to be healed when surely her legs could work. He had scolded himself. But he never really remembered why he felt the need to.

All he remembered was that she pissed him off with her know it all loud mouth, then she was crying, and before he knew it, she was curled in his arms, clutching his robes as he carried her all the way to the infirmary. She wasn't very heavy, surprisingly.

As she cried into his chest, he felt bad for her. He truly wanted to understand what was all that about with Mr. Crum, but she didn't want to tell, so he tried to brush it off, although it still bothered him. She just didn't seem like the type of girl who would get into boy trouble, especially with Crum. He expected these types of actions from Mr. Malfoy, but that was never a problem, which he was reluctant about.

As he sat in his dorms until the time came, he sat and wondered. He tried to place himself in Crums shoes, just to see from a perspective what it was like to be around her. Not like that, though. Or so he willed his mind to believe.

She was beautiful, he couldn't lie, and smart, and witty. Some would think that she should have been sorted into Ravenclaw, but she also showed traits of a Slytherine, as well as a Gryffindor. Not so much Hufflepuff, that is until someone brought up S.P.E.W.S. Wait a minute!? Since when had he noticed all of this!?

With this knowledge, he surprised himself, but at the same time scared himself.

Through the imaginary eyes of Crum, he could see a happy, free, smart, and pretty girl. One who wasn't afraid of anything really. One who was up for adventure and risk. One who would try new... things.

Something clicked inside his head. He now had a better understanding of what happened earlier.

He looked at the time, twenty-five minutes. He stood from his spot and decided to show up early, or perhaps patrol the halls. He grabbed his mask and headed for the door.

As his head still splayed in the clouds of Miss Granger, he didn't notice the figure standing in the shadows. Or how they put a stopper in between his door to keep it from fully shutting. One would have though Severus Snape noticed everything, but not this time.