Chapter 3

ONE WEEK AGO

THE THERAPIST'S OFFICE

Violet was sitting down on a couch in the therapist's office. She was only there so she could get a car and stay in the OBX.

"I'm Dr

"I'm Dr. Kate." The therapist says.

"I'm Violet, but you already know that." She says, seeing the therapist hold her file.

"How's your summer been?" The therapist asks, trying to break the ice.

"I just got back from a vacation in the Hamptons." Violet says.

"I love New York." She says.

"So like are you a medical doctor or something?" Violet asks.

"I have a PhD." Dr. Kate responds.

"Oh.. that's cool." Violet says awkwardly.

"If you don't mind, I'm going to ask you some questions, and take notes about what you say so I can keep it fresh in my memory. What brings you here today?" She asks.

"I don't know. My dad said he'd get me a car if I came here." Violet says, not interested in the conversation.

"I see. Have you ever seen a counselor before?" She asks, writing something down in her notepad.

"No." Violet answers, bored.

"So tell me a little bit about yourself." She says.

"I stole my dying grandma's painkillers and got addicted to them so then I overdosed and they shipped me off to rehab to get fixed only to overdose again." Violet says, with no emotion. She was just telling the therapist what she wanted to hear.

"You seem pretty comfortable coming in here and talking about the challenges in your life." The therapist answers.

"Isn't that the whole point of me coming here? To tell you stuff." Violet says.

"You seem to be unbothered by telling me all of these things. Typically some are more closed off." She says.

"Well, I'm an open book." Violet says.

"Your grandmother, tell me about her." She says.

"My parents are doctors so they weren't there much when we were growing up. But my grandma was, and she practically raised me and Top." Violet says.

"Topper, your brother?" Dr. Kate asks.

"Yeah, him." Violet says.

"What is your relationship like with your brother?" She asks.

"Like any normal sibling relationship." Violet says.

"How did it make you feel when you found out your grandmother was sick?" She asks.