Chapter 4

FIVE DAYS AGO

THE MAYBANK RESIDENCE

The first thing Violet did when she got off the plane was rush to JJ's house. She hadn't seen him for three weeks. She was gone in the psych ward for the first week, and in the Hamptons for the last two weeks. She was glad to be back, and glad to finally be able to see him again.

"JJ!" Violet says, rushing inside the house. The door was unlocked and the house was a mess. The entire house reeked of weed and beer, a smell that only got worse the closer she got towards his room.

"Hey." Violet says, running into his room. He had obviously been smoking and drinking, his eyes were red and puffy, probably from the weed and the crying.

He ignored her, just staring into the air. His hair was messy and he was a mess himself.

She hugged him, excited to see him, but he didn't hug her back. He was out of it.

"Hey?" Violet says again, trying to get his attention.

"You disappear for a month and show up like this?" JJ asks, confused.

The crying he had been doing alone for the past three weeks took everything out of him. And the weed and beers drowned it out.

"My mom- she threw me in the psych ward. But I just got back from the Hamptons." Violet says, excited to see him.

"Listen I can't do this." JJ says, it was too painful to see Violet again.

Every time he saw Violet, he would think of John B. His best friend since the third grade, who was also her brother. Although John B and Violet found out this summer that they were related, he saw the similarities between the two. Which made him miss his best friend even more.

"What are you talking about? I missed you!" Violet says, kissing him, but he didn't kiss her back. There was something different in him. Like the spark behind him was gone, he wasn't JJ anymore.

"How can you just stand there? All happy, going on vacation to the Hamptons when your brother just died a few weeks ago? They died. People died!" JJ says.

"I- I was just happy to see you." Violet says.

"I thought you were dead." JJ says, his voice cracking.

"Well I'm not." Violet reassures, grabbing his hand but he pulled it away.

"Look, I can't do this okay? It hurts too much." JJ says, refusing to look Violet in the eys.

"I chose you, okay? I told you I always would." Violet says.

"No you didn't!" JJ yells back, startling her.

"You picked him! You picked Rafe! You wanted him to get better! You picked him over your own family! Over John B!" JJ yells again.

"I-" Violet was cut off.

"If you chose me then you would've just let us turn Rafe in." JJ adds on.

"You know when I was in the psych ward, the only name I called for was you." Violet says, her eyes getting glossy before she stormed out the room.

She didn't even get the chance to tell him she was pregnant. Not that it mattered anyways. She wasn't planning on keeping a baby at her age.

THE THORNTON RESIDENCE

Violet stormed inside the house, slamming each door closed in her way. Stomping with each step.

"Someone's moody." Topper comments,