{Chapter 11 - Diverging}

[Hunter Examination Arc - Phase 2]

Soon, people started bringing their dishes up to the front. It seemed like everyone had roasted their pork, the exact same way.

You turned around to look at your friends once more, only to realize they had done the same thing. Gon noticed your gaze and started waving at you. He moved aside to show off what he made. 

Your eye twitched in disbelief, as you stared at the slab of meat. 

'What the actual hell, lol.'

You laugh at the thought and go back to watching the selection. Buhara was saying "yes" to all of the meats. Meanwhile, Menchi had a scowl on her face, and declined every single dish. 

So far, out of about the thirty or so applicants that had gone up, had failed. Everyone else was confused and angry, but you understood why Menchi was being that way. 

At the very beginning, people had pissed her off, and she had warned them not to underestimate the art of cuisine. 

Or at least something like that. ( •_•)>⌐■-■ 

(⌐■_■)

'Gordon Ramsay wannabe-'

The funny thing was, she hadn't even tried a single dish, and already knew what was wrong with each one. 

One was cooked on the outside, but raw on the inside. 

Another was completely burned. Another had all its insides stirred up. Another one was just roasted and bland. 

"No one's passed yet..." Leorio mumbled, sulking.

"And Menchi-san hasn't even taken a bite..." Kurapika added.

Menchi stands up and starts waving her arms around. "Hey, can anyone out there satisfy me?!" You stand up, being next in line, and walk up to the front. 

Menchi growls and sits back down. When her eyes meet your dish, they light up. "Sugoi... #406." For once, her face had a smile since the selection started. 

Buhara of course, dives in, happily munching on the pork. Menchi leans in, about to stab her fork inside, while all the other contestants gather around. Everyone leaned forward in awe, as the woman brought the meat to her lips.

She cuts a piece and puts it in her mouth, and then immediately spits it out. 

The crowd went silent, and you could feel your heart drop in your chest. A sudden gut feeling arose, making you feel like puking. 

'N-nani?!'

"Oye, #406, are you trying to kill me?!"

"W-wait what?"

"This has laxatives in it!"

"I-I never put any..." That's when it dawned on you, and you turn around, glaring at Tonpa. When you turned around to ask someone for another knife, Tonpa had snuck up and put some laxatives in your food.

Leaving the selection stage where Menchi and Buhara were, you jumped off and ran towards Tonpa, with your fist up. 

Everyone else watching had turned to you and Tonpa, and Leorio growled. He hated Tonpa anyways, and since Tonpa might be the reason you don't pass, he hated him even more.