{Chapter 21 - Right Moment}

[Hunter Examination Arc - Phase 4]

"Why... why would you do that?" You asked, and slowly stood up, a shadow cast over your face. Every inch of you was urging you to scream and kick the man. 

How could he hurt and take an innocent life...?

It was just the reality of this world. Humans were the cruelest of all. We would hunt and eat every animal and plant on this Earth. We would even mercilessly kill our own kind.

It was a painful truth... and it hurt so, so much. The world was a harsh place, with all kinds of people existing.

It angered you. So much, but you had to restrain yourself. Despite the man killing the bird, you couldn't kill the man. He was still a human after all... 

That's when it reminded you of the time that Hisoka and you sat under the stars. It was a small moment but... it felt like so much.

Or when he held that coffee above your head, and wouldn't let you have it, so you could sleep that night. 

Or when he saved you...

He was a murderer, but he had a heart, just like any other person. 

You slowly turned around, facing the man now. A shadow still covered your face. You then slowly looked up, your E/C eyes almost glowing in the darkness.

He seemed taken aback, and a sweat drop formed on his forehead, but he stood his ground. 

"Give me your ID tag, and I'll leave you alone..." He threatened, gripping his Katana tighter. You knew he wasn't really much of a threat, but seeing as he had a weapon, you decided to use a different approach. 

You gently set down the body of the bird.

Then, you started running. He seemed somewhat surprised and chased after you. Both of you had passed the First Phase of course, which meant you both were good at running. 

However, you couldn't really run for too long. You were still a human after all. You wanted to try and do what Gon did, which was leaping through the trees like a monkey.

This would help you look down below, and watch out for other applicants as well. That's when you came across a trap and an idea...

It was about 6 meters deep, which was 12 feet. Additionally, the opening of it was 2 meters in diameter, which would make it impossible to jump over. 

What made it worse, was that it was surrounded by bushes, which hid it. It was basically to trick. Luckily you noticed the hole since you were in the tree, but there was another issue...

The trees had started thinning out quite a bit in this region of the island, which meant the distance between the tree you were in, and the next one was almost 10 meters, which was thirty feet.

Just below you was a pit. The man after you wouldn't notice it so... you used the trap to your advantage. 

He got closer and closer, and you took a deep breath. At the right moment, you leaped from the tree, and over the hole, just as he dove in to get you. 

As a result, he fell in the hole, getting trapped, and you landed and rolled, to prevent your legs from breaking from the impact.

Unfortunately, when you had landed, your breath almost completely got knocked out. The drop from the tree and the leap over the pit had put a lot of distance between you and the ground, making space almost two stories.