{Chapter 25 - Demise}

[Hunter Examination Arc - Final Phase]

"Hey, do you have any sleeping gas left?"

"I do..."

"Would you trade it for this?" Gon asked, and held up an ID tag. 

"Ah! That's Bourbon's!" Ponzu was surprised.

Gon smiled and lowered his hand. "This gives you six points, right?"

"Yes, that's right. But what are you going to do with the sleeping gas?"

"Put all the snakes to sleep, so we can escape."

"It'd be more effective than when I sprayed gas from the outside. Within five minutes, the entire cave will fill with gas, and the snakes will be asleep. But it'll take five minutes! No one can hold their breath that long! There's no point if we put ourselves to sleep in the process."

"Nine minutes and forty-four seconds," Gon stated, as he stood up and stretched. 

"Huh?"

"That's my record," he replied and looked down at Ponzu with a grin. "I'll hold my breath and carry everyone out of here."

"... I can't trust you. You might leave everyone behind and escape by yourself."

"You really think he'd do that, after jumping into a nest of poisonous snakes to save Leorio?" Kurapika asked.

"Trust me. I'll get you out of here!" 

Ponzu looked up at Gon, who was smiling and nodded. Then she pulled out her sleeping gas-bomb/container and moved a couple of gears around.

"It's ready."

"On my signal, release the gas."

"Got it."

And with that, Gon took a deep breath in, and a deep breath out. Repeating that over and over again, until he got the perfect amount of air. 

Then he held up a thumbs-up, and Ponzu nodded. You sat down next to Ponzu and put your hand on her shoulder. Then you gave her a reassuring smile, and she smiled back.

Then, you closed your eyes, and everything went black.

~~~

Khara, the 4th Phase guide, stepped off the boat. "Then, we will now check the tags of everyone here! #44, Hisoka-san! #53, Pokkle-san! #99, Killua-san! #301, Gittarackur-san! #191, Bodoro-san! #294, Hanzo-san! 

So, six applicants have passed...? Oh!" She chimed and looked up to see a couple more applicants arriving. You walked alongside Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio behind. 

"Gon!" Killua yelled and hopped off this rock he was standing on. 

"Ah, four more applicants arrive at the last second," she exclaims, and looks down at her clipboard and writes something. 

Gon gives Killua a thumbs-up, while you look around to see who else had passed. That's when you notice Hisoka.

'Hisoka...'