{Chapter 17 - No Matter What}

[Hunter Examination Arc - Phase 3]

The two of you appeared in a hallway, with another monitor. X for right (long route, easy), or O for left (short route, hard).

You were exhausted and wanted to take the easier route, but you noticed Hisoka press O, for the harder route, and you raised your eyebrow.

Wasn't he... tired?

And what would happen if you clicked X and he clicked O? There's no majority applied here, is there? Would both routes open? Or would the two of you be stuck here?

'My head hurts...' T^T

You shook your head at the idea and decided it would be best not to question it. Carefully, you clicked O, and the gates opened up.

You walked ahead, Hisoka behind you. Once again, you felt that weird feeling and shuddered. His eyes were on you again.

"H-Hisoka, you walk ahead...!!" 

He smirked and shrugged as if nothing was wrong. As he passed you, he shot you an innocent smile, the one that made you want to punch him. You sighed and looked off to the side.

At some point, you completely gave up on trying to avoid him, because no matter how hard you tried, you'd always come back to him.

(¬_¬")

Gradually, the path you two walked down became narrower and narrower, and darker. You started to get a little uncomfortable, as the distance between you and Hisoka became smaller.

Finally, the tunnel leads you two to a room. Something about this room was weird though. The room almost looked like a playground...

Or at least a deadly one. 

It had a pool built in the ground, on the left. There were also these huge tree-like columns, with these horizontal beams on them that loomed above. 

It was also sorta like an obstacle course...

There were bear traps on the right and a monkey bar-like structure. Except this was much, much larger. The bars were far apart, about a foot or two, and it was about 20 meters off the ground. Which meant... if you fell from that height.

You would die.

There were also a lot of other weird structures as well. One that involved fire, another with a pit full of spikes. The room was shaped like a dome. It was a dome. A huge one too.

Hisoka and you looked around curiously when your eyes caught these huge gates on the other end of the arena.

That's when the intercom chimed on. "Welcome to the next challenge! Here, you'll be fighting some of the prisoners from Trick Tower, amongst uneven and foreign terrain.

Here, both applicants have a chance to pass. Or neither. Both may also choose to fight each other, or work together."

Your heart skipped a beat. Hisoka and you could fight? You didn't want to. No, you wanted to team up.

Maybe not even that. You wanted to pass this phase, no matter what. If it may be fighting Hisoka, or teaming up with him. Even if it meant the two of you going separate ways, and passing.

You had to pass.

You still hoped that he wouldn't turn against you. O_o

"Once again, this challenge can result in death. Well, good luck!"