{Chapter 46 - Animosity || pt. 1}

[Play music for the section below]

[Yorknew City Arc]

"I'm not interested in whether you have a license or not. I'm interested in your abilities, and how well you can fight. Your loyalty, morals, thought process, and strategy. As you saw recently, that young woman showed cowardice and paid for it. I'd suggest being careful with every decision you make."

You nodded, following along with the man's words. Your heart rate was calm, and you were composed, a gentle, yet empowering look in your eyes. That is until you heard his next statement.

The task required something absolutely unimaginable, and dangerous. In which a single misstep would cost you your life. You could lose everything just for getting the job, attending the auction, and achieving your goals. 

But when it was least expected, you felt confident, as if your body was charged with electricity. The next step you'd take was risky but... taking risks was part of what made you a Hunter.

One, simple sentence. One simple sentence, an order, would determine you moving on or failing. But that wasn't the only thing you were concerned about. This was an opportunity you could use to your advantage. 

"Jump."

Everyone went silent. 

"I want you to jump. From this building, and get to the bottom floor, which is another 80 meters below surface level."

You were right. You needed to be underground after all. 

"We're already 180 floors above surface level. To reach below the surface, use the empty elevator shaft."

For a moment, you thought about the elevator you had taken to get here. When it occurred to you that you had taken the elevator with someone to escort you, meaning that it could've just been an illusion; Aura.

"Well, damn," someone behind you commented, a hand on their hip. "Any rules then?"

But instead of being answered, the screen immediately switched off. The boy behind you groaned. He had red hair.

Meanwhile, you thought about what the man had said. 180 floors, plus an extended 80 meters below surface level. A floor was about 14 ft, so 180 floors were around 2520 ft. A meter was about 3 ft, so 80 meters = 240 ft. Making the total height: 2760 ft. And considering your weight, and the level of air resistance in the atmosphere, as well as the gravitational pull, the time to reach below, would be...

'about 39 seconds...'

You raised both your eyebrows, pretty impressed at how this test's first stage was set up. Everyone slowly approached the elevator shaft, and peered in. And for a moment, your stomach lurched. 

It was completely dark. And the ropes that connected to an elevator to help it rise were gone, leaving an empty, rectangular shaft. 

The deeper the shaft got, the lesser light. A complete, dark void, so you couldn't make out the end. And the thought of not being able to see made you shudder. Who knew what lurked inside? It could've been a trap as well. 

But an amazing opportunity to try out something new.

You leaned forward further, close enough to where if you inclined any more, you'd fall in. Looking around, everyone else seemed to be hesitant. You sighed and turned back towards the shaft.