Too Soon

Levi's POV

Staying with Anna on her birthday wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I got to annoy her for longer than usual which was funner than I imagined. I liked pissing her off because it makes her speak honestly. I much prefer her when she's yelling at me then when she's quietly obeying my orders for some reason. I guess it's more entertaining.

Three weeks passed by quicker than I thought and when I went to receive my mission orders from Erwin I found her already in there dressed in her uniform and geared up.

"Sorry if I interrupted something." Why is Anna always in Erwin's office when I need to be in there.

"No, you didn't. Anna was just leaving." Erwin looked at Anna and nodded to her.

"Yes sir." She saluted Erwin and turned around and left.

"So, what is the mission this time? The usual scouting routine?" I asked lazily.

"Yes, see if there is anything more you can learn about the titans. You will also be joined by three other squads to increase the numbers." Erwin was talking to me, but reading something at the same time.

"Yes sir." I saluted to him and went to walk out, but he had one last thing to say.

"Levi, remember what you promised about Anna." His voice was stern.

"How could I forget. Don't worry, we both will return." I didn't bother to turn around to say this and continued out the door.

I left his office and went to gear up. After I was finished I went out to the courtyard and found my squad already lined up waiting for me. Miles and Anna were standing side by side, at least I'll have my strongest soldier with me on this mission. My squad and the other three squads rode towards the wall to be pulled up and over. 

Once we made it outside the walls our mission started. All of us rode in formation only stopping to kill titans. It had already been a couple hours and we were already taking a break by a river. From what I saw, Anna had fully recovered and was back to killing titans with ease. As a safety measure I always paired her up with someone else. 

The five of them were sitting in a circle talking and laughing with each other. I finally had a squad that wouldn't argue their ears off with each other. It only took Anna almost losing her hand and life. I sat further away from them, but listened to their conversation.

"Retia, have you gotten better since I was last here? When we were fighting that titan, you sliced through it so easily!" Anna must be happy to be back on the battlefield she was beaming with energy.

"Really? I would say you've somehow gotten better! Oh and the way you and Miles worked together to kill that one fifteen meter titan was so impressive. It was almost like you two were communicating to each other without even talking! I'm so glad to have you back!" Retia jumped up and tackled Anna into a hug and the other three laughed.

I chuckled lightly myself. These kids were getting along better than I thought, Miles and Anna really do work well together now. I was impressed by how well Miles could keep up with Anna's speed. This squad was really turning out to be quite skilled.

My squad was skilled enough to make it back to the walls alive, but other squads were not as lucky. Seven soldiers died out there on that mission, my squad was the only one to make it back in one piece unharmed. We of course learned nothing new about the titans other than they eat humans without a second thought.

This continued on for another year and a half. My squad hadn't faced any casualties, with Anna and Miles working seamlessly together it seemed like we were almost unbeatable. After one of our missions I went Erwin to report, but Anna was already in there. She made another mistake by not closing the door all the way again. I leaned up against the wall listening to the rest of her conversation with Erwin.