Losing You

Levi's POV 

During the week before the awards ceremony I would check in on Anna everyday, but she would have the same blank face and glazed over eyes. Hange would visit her frequently too and she reported Anna behaving oddly as well. It was like Anna was dead to the world. She hadn't really spoken to me or Hange during the time she was awake. It would always be an "okay" or "Mm." from her. I didn't know what to do, or how to help her. 

Hange and I were getting in the carriage to go to the capital, as I sat there my knee bounced up and down. Hange and I went to pick her up from her room so we could all go together, but she wasn't there. 

"Don't worry, she probably found her own way there." Hange tried to calm me down, but I felt anything but calm.

The whole ride to the capital was agonizing for me. I had no idea where Anna was, her leg was still heavily injured, and she had been acting strange for the past week. How can I not worry?

Once we got to the capital, I hurried into the building and through the hallways until I got to the large room where the ceremony was going to take place. I looked around for a few minutes until I finally spotted Anna. Commander Pixis was speaking with her and she seemed to be acting normal. Maybe she had come to her senses?

Before I could go and speak to her, the ceremony had already started and I had to go line up in front of the Queen. Once we all received our awards everyone began socializing. I was leaning up against a pillar thinking about what to do with Anna when I saw Floch approach Armin.

"Aren't you happy with your little award. I hope you know that everyone in here believes the Captain made a mistake. You should be dead and the Commander should be alive!" Why did this shit head kid join the scouts?

"I-I-" Armin tried to defend himself, but someone stepped in front of Armin to protect him.

"Excuse me, but I believe you owe Armin and the Captian an apology." My eyes widened once I saw that it was Anna who was defending Armin.

"I believe that a decision had to be made, and the Captain made the decision he thought was the best. Blaming Armin will get you nowhere, and in fact, I'm glad Armin is alive. He is 20 times smarter than all of us and he will do the best he can to fight for our cause. He is a great soldier and a necessary one." Anna's voice was clear and concise, she truly reminded me of Erwin at this certain moment. It was the first time I was hearing her speak properly in the last two weeks.

"Whatever, it's not my brother who died." Floch clicked his tongue in annoyance and walked away. Anna simply closed her eyes probably from anger and reopened them when Armin tapped her shoulder.

"Thank you so much!" Armin bowed and Anna smiled lightly and patted his head.

"Every word I said was true Armin. Don't let others push you around like that, you deserve better. Now if you'll excuse me." Anna smiled at him once more before turning around and walking towards me.

I waited for her to talk to me, but she simply nodded her head at me and left the building. I was struck with confusion and shock. She acknowledged me, but had nothing to say to me. What is going on in her head?

Once we got back to headquarters I went and checked Anna's room, but she wasn't there. I walked around the entire base looking for her, but I didn't see her. I went to Hange's office and asked her if she had seen Anna.

"Sorry, I haven't seen her since she left the capital early." Hange was sorting through some papers at her new desk.

"Okay." I went to leave, but Hange wasn't done talking.