A Promise

Levi's POV

I heard somewhat of what happened after Hange and Anna returned from saving the soldiers at Utgard Castle. I didn't realize Anna got caught in the blast of the colossal titan, but when I saw her, her face and hands were covered in burns and her nose was bleeding. Seeing her injured pissed me off since a lot of what happened could've been prevented if I was there with her. She's so stubborn that the first thing she wanted to do when she woke up, was see her brother. 

"How did you get a concussion?" I asked her while she was laying down in her bed.

"Probably from when I got knocked back by the colossal titan. I hit the ground pretty hard since there was so much steam." She sighed and lifted her hands up to her head and felt the bandages around her head.

"So even with a concussion and those burns you still went after Eren? Are you a dumb ass?" I didn't have to ask her that since I already knew the answer was yes.

"No, at least I don't think so. I felt fine at the time so I knew I should help get Eren back." She really was a dumb ass.

"Well rest for now while I form a new squad." I stood up and walked to the table in the room and took a seat. I had records on all of the cadets who were still alive and graduated with Eren. I planned on going through them to see who will be on my next squad.

"A new squad? Sounds fun." Anna laughed a bit, I could tell she was being sarcastic since our other two squads met tragic ends.

"I don't plan on putting you on this squad, unless your brother says otherwise, but he's out of commission right now so it's ultimately my choice." As I said this Anna shot straight up. I looked up at her and she looked like she was about the throw a fit.

"Levi, why do you suddenly want to get rid of me?" She asked with a concerned look in her eyes.

"I'm not getting rid of you, I'm trying to protect you. It would be safer for you to stay here in Trost with your brother." I looked back down at my files and flipped through them. Anna would just have to deal with not being on my squad. Things were starting to get serious, I didn't want Anna involved.

Suddenly I heard and felt a large smack on the wood in front of me. I looked up and Anna had somehow made her way over to my table, her fist landed roughly on the wooden table. Her eyes held anger in them, I could tell I had fucked up.

"I'm a soldier! Not some pet to be stored away! I demand that you treat me like a soldier!" Her hair was messy and the bandages on her face made her look less intimidating, but I could feel her sincerity and anger through the air.

I sighed and closed my eyes. I realized that I was trying to keep her out of fights even though she was in fact a soldier. It wasn't fair to her if I kept treating her like a baby, but I couldn't help it. I hated seeing her hurt and the more she's out doing missions the more likely she is to get hurt. I couldn't decide what to do with her.

"Here's what I'll do. Since you're technically a squad leader yourself I won't officially have you on my squad, but you can still help guard Historia and Eren." I was thinking on my toes, I wasn't too sure about having her with us the entire time.

"Really?" This seemed to perk her up, but I had another condition for her.

"But, you must obey my commands without arguing. If I tell you to come back to Trost, then you have to leave and stay until I send for you, is that clear?" If I do this, then I could still send her away when things get inevitably hairy, and she won't be able to complain.

"Crystal!" Anna smiled triumphantly and walked back to her bed to lay down.

"Tomorrow I'll take you to see Erwin before we gather up the new squad and leave." I said as I directed my attention back to the files.