45 - Next Steps

Words: 1429
Chapter Summary: Well, what's the next step to take? The heroes talk it over and get a nice surprise that could help them more than they think.
Author's Note: IT'S OFFICIAL: A Recorded Life will be over at chapter 50. I can't believe I've been writing this story for over a year, and I love it dearly. I have a few ideas for a mini-sequel (literally only like 5 parts) if people are interested, but we'll talk about that in the final chapter! Also, it feels a little rushed at the end of this chapter so I apologize in advance but I can't wait to get to the juicy stuff in the next five chapters.

---

The team of heroes had a lot going on, to say the least. Master Fu had a lot of insight on everything he had seen from Gabriel's stash, but it was only marginally helpful. Granted, it was more than they had before.

"There was some stuff, but not as much as we expected. There were a few untranslated books that the guardian is working on translating and a few ancient pieces that belonged to old heroes," Marinette explained. "Well, and the peacock miraculous. It was severely broken, and wearing it could be dangerous, but the guardian is working on fixing her so she can be usable again.

The team listened intently, hoping for something that would give them a hint as to where Gabriel and Nathalie were hiding out, but alas, there was nothing.

Adrien cleared his throat to talk. Out of everyone, this was the hardest on Adrien, but he was pushing through. "I still think there's stuff in his lair. For some reason, I wasn't able to get in last time. But there are more options than one on how to get in there," He pointed to his ring.

The group was silent once again, not sure where to go from here. This time, it was Nino who broke the silence. "So, what does the peacock miraculous do?" Nino asked, hopeful that it could be helpful in their hands, and not Hawkmoth's.

"Well, you know how the moth can transform humans? Originally, it's meant to be used for good, obviously, but the peacock can do that to objects," Marinette explained.

"Well, it sure is a good thing you guys got ahold of it," Chloé commented. "Who knows what they would have done with that," She sighed.

Alya perked up to switch topics. "Do we have any idea how Hawkmoth found out about Nino and me?" She asked.

Adrien and Marinette looked at each other to try to figure out the answer. Truthfully, they didn't know, but it made sense that he knew. "I think it was kind of obvious. Who else would Marinette trust enough to join our team after out identities got revealed to the whole world?" Adrien reasoned. "It had to be someone close to us, and your descriptions just kind of matched, I guess," He said.

Nino and Alya both shrugged, accepting the explanation. "So, what's our next move?" Nino asked.

"Adrien and I talked a little bit about that with the guardian. First and foremost, we have to figure out where Gabriel and Nathalie are hiding out, and what they really want with our Miraculous," Marinette said. "We have to do everything we can to stay away from them, if he takes them and makes a wish, something awful could happen," She continued. "But I have no clue where to start. There's nothing left at the mansion that gives us any clues, and without Adrien being able to get into the lair, I'm not sure where to even begin," She sighed at the end, feeling helpless.

"I'll go back to the mansion. I have to," Adrien deadpanned.

Marinette shook her head quickly. "No, you can't. We already risked it going back there once, but I'm afraid if we go back there again, Hawkmoth will know. You know your father, he has eyes and ears everywhere, he would know that we didn't get everything and he would have the advantage over us," She told him. Adrien agreed with a shrug, not wanting to argue about it. He knew he had to get back in there and get into the lair, but they didn't need to talk about it right now.

"So, we just wait around to find a hint, then?" Chloé asked.

"Sounds like it," Alya interjected.

It was almost like Hawkmoth knew they were all together. It was almost like he knew exactly what they were talking about. Three days of silence, and at this perfect coincidence of time, there was a crash outside.

Alya's phone started to blare with an update from the news, showing exclusive footage of an Akuma only a few blocks away. The whole team stood up and called for their kwamis, all transforming together. If it were under different circumstances, that would have been an impressive sight to see.

They all rushed out of Marinette's trap door to her balcony as Alya called out where the Akuma was and what they needed to expect. "It's a Ladybug fangirl. She's mad about something someone said about you!" Rena Rogue called out, still watching her phone and jumping across multiple roofs with her team.

"Well, at least he knows this one will hurt," Ladybug sighed. Once they found the Akuma, everyone stopped to hear what she was saying. She had on an identical outfit to Ladybug's, and her brown hair was in ponytails. It was pretty close to when Chloé was akumatized to be like Ladybug, but much scarier, because she was a heck of a lot sweeter than Chloé. 

"Ohmigosh!" The Ladybug look-alike squealed, and used her yo-yo to get up to the roof with the heroes on it. "Are you actually Ladybug? Who am I kidding, of course, you are, look at you! I'm so glad to finally meet you. We are going to be best friends forever!" She said, her voice getting much deeper and more serious at the end of the sentence.

Ladybug calmly laughed. "Oh, you're too sweet. What's your name?" Ladybug asked.

"Laylabug! We're going to be best friends, and no one will stop me. Not even your team," She said and grabbed Ladybug's hand, holding it so tight Ladybug thought it was going to bruise.

"Of course, we can be friends," Ladybug said. "But do you think you can let go of my hand? It hurts a bit, and friends wouldn't do that to each other, right?"

Laylabug contemplated it, but stopped when the purple mask showed up in front of her face, Hawkmoth communicating with her and trying to convince her of his ways. "Oh, I get it!" Laylabug said. "You're just worried that your friends will miss you and be lonely. Don't worry! Hawkmoth has best friends for them too!"

Right as she said that, four more teens appeared on the roof, looking like the heroes look-alikes. They all reached to grab their hands, and while Queen Bee and Carapace got grabbed, Chat Noir and Rena Rouge were able to dodge and hide away from their new friends.

This only made the look-alikes angry. As Ladybug, Queen Bee, and Carapaece's hands were held tightly; the look-alikes used their equipment to take the three heroes away from there. They were strong, and they were serious about never letting them go.

Rena Rogue and Chat Noir had to come up with their own plan to get their friends back, which meant luring them out. It was a good thing Rena Rouge was able to get away, because she's got the easiest power to lure villains out.

After talking it over with Chat Noir, Rena Rouge used her mirage power to make it look like she and Chat Noir were going after the look-alikes and the rest of their team. Since the look-alikes were just teens, it was easy to trick them, but there was a total of five that needed to be taken down.

When the look-alikes were distracted, the real Rena Rogue and Chat Noir snuck up from behind and easily kick their legs out from under them, taking all of the look-alikes (and their friends) to the ground. Again, since they were only teenagers, it was a lot easier than it would have been if it were adults. Hawkmoth did not think this one through.

With the look-alikes on the ground, they weren't focused on keeping ahold of Ladybug, Queen Bee, and Carapace. Carapace used his shield to keep the look-alikes trapped, and Ladybug called for her lucky charm and received a mirror. By making them look at themselves, and how silly they looked, they got even angrier.

"Hawkmoth!" Laylabug screamed, making the purple mask show up in front of her face again. "You promised me that Ladybug would be my best friend forever! I will come to that home you're staying in and take you down myself for lying! I know where you are!" She screamed. 

Before she could say anymore, Laylabug was turned back into a normal girl, and Ladybug used her Miraculous Ladybug to clean up the rest of the kids. 

Hopefully, someone got this whole battle on video, because there's a lot that could be helpful here.