2.3 - One Year After

Words 1448
Chapter Summary: On the year anniversary after Hawkmoth's defeat, the team reflects and meets up. Something is off with Marinette, though.
Author's Note: Let Team Miraculous be happy. That's what this chapter is. Maybe a little content warning on grief and sadness, but there is a happy ending. Also, this is the last of the part that takes place directly after Hawkmoth's defeat, the following chapters will be a few years later. I'm super excited for that!

---

While Sabine plated up breakfast for her, Tom, Marinette, and Adrien, they listened to the morning news. It was a Saturday, so there wasn't much to be done during the day. Scattered homework, hopes of filming a new video, and maybe play some video games. But that was a normal Saturday; this one hit much harder.

"Don't be bemused; it's just the news!" Nadja introduced the program. "A year ago today was the miraculous day where our favorite superhero took down Hawkmoth. I can speak for all of France when I say thank you to Ladybug, Chat Noir, Rena Rouge, Carapace, and Queen Bee. It has been a while since we've seen them around, but it is no secret that they deserve the break, and crime rates have been down. Thank you, our Miraculous heroes," Nadja said before it switched to a different topic.

Adrien and Marinette ate their cereal in silence as they listened to her talk, but never looked at the TV. It was going to be an emotional day to think back on, and it had already been an emotional year. But they wouldn't change the way things went down; as hard as it was for Adrien to lock his father up, he couldn't let him destroy Paris.

"Would you like us to do anything for you guys?" Tom asked them, finally breaking the silence.

Marinette shook her head. "Oh, no, thanks, dad," She said. "We're meeting up with the team a little later. It's been a while since we've all been together," Marinette nodded.

"Alright, well, you let us know," Tom smiled. Marinette's parents said they would be down in the bakery, and they exited to leave the kids alone.

"How are you feeling?" Marinette asked Adrien.

Adrien only shrugged in response, taking another bite of his food. "Kinda numb, you know?" Adrien said. "I thought I would be sadder, especially after talking to my therapist this week. But I'm still mad at him," He explained.

Marinette put her hand on Adrien's shoulder to comfort him. "And that's perfectly okay, you know that," She said.

Though Adrien was mad, he still felt guilty. He was the reason his dad was in jail, and he can't help but think if his mother really would be back if he let Hawkmoth make his wish. He also felt guilty that he hasn't once visited his father after a year nor talked to Nathalie since she moved away. Everyone always reminded Adrien he had nothing to feel guilty about and that his father didn't deserve to see Adrien, but no matter how much he was told, he still felt it. He couldn't help it.

The Kwami's came flying into the room at record speed. "Morning, guys!" Plagg said and quickly flew into the fridge to eat a piece of cheese.

"How are you guys?" Tikki flew up to them.

"The usual," Marinette answered for both of them. "I think seeing the team will be helpful. Nino has a lot of stories from tour to tell us, too," Marinette said.

A small smile appeared on Adrien's face. "I can't wait to see him; it's been so long," He awed, and the two of them finished breakfast. Once they were done, they headed to the nearby park where so many memories were made. Countless photoshoots, school projects, and Akuma fights happened at the park. Adrien and Marinette set down their blanket and waited for the others to show up. There was going to be a celebratory ceremony later in the day, but the team wanted to catch up before then.