Chapter Forty Two ~

Dear Eve,

I hope this finds you well. Before I get serious and tell you some bad news, I want to talk about the flowers I have enclosed with this letter. It is early, early spring, so flowers have not yet bloomed as much as these had. Everything else was dead in Caradot's gardens except for the flowers in this small bouquet that I send to you with wishes of a spring that brings new beginnings and the rebirth of happiness that was lost to winter's storms. Every time I saw these flowers outside my study's window, my mind couldn't help but picture you. I knew I had to send these to you before they died in the storms that seem to be approaching as winter's last hurrah, so I, going against my maids and butlers as they told me not to go outside in the middle of a lightning storm, cut and pressed these blooms so I could send them to you. However, I was quickly informed of some international business that I need to involve you in. I'm sorry these flowers had to be sent with a sad letter and not a happy one, instead. Forgive me, if you can.

I have recently received a letter from Desdemona's King asking for help to overthrow Aaliyah at her south-east border where the two kingdoms meet. He sent me a long-drawn-out plan and my part was to supply weapons – preferably firearms as that is what Caradot is becoming known for. (This reminds me, is your butler's pistol still in good shape? I can send a new one if he's not happy with his current one. I've found that over time they begin to rust, and we can't seem to find a cleaner that doesn't make them rust even more.) This letter was written a month ago from today on February 27, 1823, and he talks about how his army, with the help of other undisclosed kingdoms, will push forward through the south-east border to the castle. The army will not try to harm civilians but will not hesitate to kill anyone that tries to fight back. They will storm the castle and take you captive before burning your home. There are further details, but I would prefer to discuss them with you face-to-face as I do not want this letter to be taken into the wrong hands if that were so to happen. I will say that if I were to send Desdemona the supplies the king has asked for, he would give me part of your kingdom as a gift, as well as some riches, but those were not guaranteed (which does not surprise me).

Eve, I want to offer up my firearms and troops – whatever you need – to you if we hear that this plan will go underway. I prefer to side with you and not some power-hungry fool (God forbid someone else finds this letter!). I will offer you my alliance, no matter what, so do not worry about Caradot turning against you. I think this is the proper time in the letter to say that we – meaning my castle and I – threw you a birthday party to celebrate you turning nineteen. I even saw some citizens in the region around my humble abode celebrate you. I hope you had a great birthday, Eve. You truly deserve it and I wish I could be with you to greet you personally.

As this letter comes to a close, I again repeat that I am your ally and friend – I know our dear friend Blaine is from Desdemona, but he is not the one deceiving you. This is his father's doing, I'm sure of it. Please, write me back as soon as you can and tell me when you'd like to meet so we can discuss more in person. I do not mind if you want me to come to your kingdom or mine – just tell me what you prefer. I can't wait to see you again! I hope you enjoyed the flowers. I will give you a better birthday gift when we meet.

Till Next Time, With Love,

Baekhyun, King of Caradot

***

Dear Queen Evangeline of Aaliyah,

A prince as I should never send such a letter to a queen like you, but this is urgent. My parents thought it would better if I sent you one instead of them since they think we are friends – are we? I would say I am more of an acquaintance, but it's your call – but they told me to tell you that if you want to hear from them instead of their lousy-excuse of a son (my words, not theirs), just let them know. I will not be offended, I promise. In fact, I am expecting you to do just that.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this isn't as formal as you'd like and deserve, but I don't know how to write to a queen haha! This is important information though and I think I should tell you what it is in a way that is true to me. My parents can do a much better job.

We have received a letter from King Phillip of Desdemona – Blaine's dad, if you didn't know – and he is asking for more troops to help with overthrowing your kingdom. My parents immediately said no, but they have not sent a letter of disagreement back. I think they are afraid to, but you didn't hear that from me if anyone asks. My parents want to keep your trust as you, your parents, and ancestors have helped out Cheliyan more times than I can count on all my fingers and toes. Though our kingdoms may not be best friends as I thought Aaliyah and Desdemona were, the friendship is still there and my parents wanted me to let you know that they have your back and will support you rather than Desdemona.

With this being said, if you need anything from us, please let us know! We will give you whatever you need without a catch of any kind to honor the help you have given us when we couldn't pay you back. If we hear anything else about this overthrow King Phillip is planning, we will try to let you know as soon as we can! We are on your side and are already trying to prepare some things to send your way.

My parents want to know if and when you'd like to meet to discuss this in person. I was told not to say too much since someone could steal this letter, but oh well. They said we could meet here or go to your place – whatever you like. We were talking about the fact that he probably sent letters to other kingdoms asking for assistance and my dad said something about getting everyone that's on your side together and talking about a strategy to fight back. But we're at your disposal.

I hope I didn't take up too much of your time and I hope you can look past my informal ways. You may tell your servants to treat me rudely when we meet again if that will help.

Kindest Regards,

Prince Taeyong of Cheliyan, the Beauty of the South (my words haha)

***

I sat the letters down on my bedside table and took a deep breath. "Hoseok, please let Yoongi and Namjoon know I need to send two urgent letters as soon as possible. Whenever they can find the time to get up and discuss these letters, they need to be up here."

Hoseok bowed. "Yes, of course, Your Majesty."

---