Crash

Tessa's POV

It's 8am. I've been awake since 4am. That's when I start my day. Clean the house spotless for Sir. Cook sir's breakfast and make sure the fridge is stocked with beer.

I hear a car pull into the driveway but it doesn't sound like my stepfathers car. I'm nervously gnawing on the inside of my cheek and lip, terrified he brought another one of his friends over to "teach me a lesson". Three knocks on the door is all it took for me to snap me out of my panicked trance I was in. If I didn't answer the door fast enough then I would be punished more severely because of it. I shuffled to the door quickly and was surprised to find a young woman with red hair and blue eyes staring back at me.

"Hello Miss. Are you Miss Tessa Shields?" She asked me with a sadness in her voice. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to talk to her so I nodded my head nervously.
"Tessa dear, my name is Lina Carr. I'm a social worker. I'm so sorry to inform you but there was an accident involving your father, Bobby. He ran a red light and crashed into a family of four. He fled the scene and police are still searching him. It was a hit and run". I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
"Tessa, I'm here to place you with you're new guardian. You'll be staying with your brothers. Your oldest brother, Leo, was shocked to say the least when I called and informed him of you. He didn't hesitate to have you go live with them under his care".
I'm speechless. Shocked. Scared. Nervous.
"Them?" I asked as a whisper.
"Yes sweetie. I'm sorry I should have mentioned. You have five older brothers. I go yearly can't remember all of their names and ages but your new guardian is the oldest. His name is Leo Shields and is 29 years old".
Again, I slowly nodding my head in understanding but also in confusion. How come I don't remember them. Why would mother take me away from my father and brothers. Why did she never tell me about them. I don't know what to think. I feel confused but numb. It's all too much.
The hit and run. BOBBY?!! I can leave this place...

"Tessa dear, I need you to pack your stuff and I will bring you to the airport so you can head home to your brothers now".

I let Lina inside and was instantly thankful I cleaned all morning. I hesitantly climbed up the stairs trying to make it look like I'm fine. The welts were still fresh from Bobby's belt last night. Walking and especially stairs hurt me. I made it to my room and grabbed my ratty old backpack. Even though it is a little dirty and has a few holes in it, it was mine. I put my two pairs of pants, two shirts, and one pair of underwear in it. I didn't own much. I was already wearing my sweatpants and only hoodie. I grab my pair of torn up dollar general shoes and made my way back to Lina. She has a kind smile and ushered me out the door and into her car.

An hour in the car and we arrived at the airport. Lina had to take a call so I patiently waited for her.
"That was your brother Leo. He will be waiting for you at the terminal when you arrive there".  She watched me get on the plane as she gave me a gentle hug and wave goodbye.

The plane takes off and I'm heading across America to meet my brothers in California.