Chapter 13 - Is That What You Think?

Eventually, the sun had gone down, and fewer and fewer people lined the streets, so Tokoyami walked you to the train station.

Just before departing on the train, you reached up and kissed his beak again, "that's a thank you for finding my scythe, you're the best" you smiled.

He looked away in embarrassment, "I couldn't just leave you to die, I just, want to protect you Is all" he admitted.

You stepped into the train and waved goodbye as it pulled out of the station, and as you looked around you spotted something odd, a tuff of white and red hair trying to hide among the crowd.

You quickly walked up to it, pushing past the crowded train and coming face to face with Shoto, your anger was evident in your face and before he could say anything, the train stopped and you turned, throwing your bag over your shoulder and walking home with shouto on your trail.

"Hey, stop," he said, after you had gotten home, you turned around with a glare.

"What is it shouto? Am I not allowed to have a private life?" you growled

"It's not that, it's just that you were dressed so nice and you were wearing makeup and I was worried that-" he explained

"That I was going on a date?" you finished

This time his pose became more aggressive, "Yeah, maybe I was! We're supposed to be engaged in case you don't recall"

Suddenly it was like the argument became more heated, "Okay but in case you hadn't heard, we don't have to honor it until after we graduate! I decide what I do until then! If I want to date someone meanwhile than I will!"

"So what?! I'm supposed to stand by and watch my damn fiancee screw around with other guys, is that it?!" he yelled, before walking into his room and slamming the door shut.

You pinched the bridge of your nose in frustration as you contemplated your next move, which ended up being to just go to your room and sleep off the anger.

The next morning when you woke up, Shoto was still in his room so you sighed, needing to be the adult, you knocked on his door.

"Shoto, can we talk?" you asked

The door unlocked but didn't open, so you took that as a cue to go inside, Shoto sat at his desk facing away from the door. 

"I'm sorry about the whole date thing, its stupid of me to think I can date someone while I'm engaged," you admitted

He looked up at you from his desk. "no, I'm the one that should be sorry, you've got a right to privacy and I should have respected that"

You hummed in agreement and leaned over to wrap your arms around him and dig your face into the crook of his neck.

"Look man" you sighed, "We don't have to be romantic, I guess, the whole marriage thing is just for us to have kids with powerful abilities, technically we don't even have to- uh, nevermind, so, just remember you don't have to force romance or anything okay?"

Shoto tensed up, "Force- wait, is that what you think?"

You lifted your face, "well yeah, that whole weird thing where your face leaned close to mine was out of character for you, I figured your father has been putting more and more pressure on your but-"

His hand flew up to your face and flicked your forehead straight in the middle, making you yelp and stand up.

"You're even denser than I thought you would be" he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "I'm not trying to force myself to do anything, y/n, I've known I loved you since the first day we met. And not in the Friend kind of way" he admitted awkwardly.

Your eyes widened, "wait, r-really?"

Shoto sighed and stood up to face you, "I had no idea you were so dense to it, y/n" he teased, "I could have sworn you'd been friend-zoning me for so long"

"I would never!" you said defensively.

He walked up to you and grabbed your hand, leading you to his bed and comfortably laying down next to you, but it felt different, you had slept in the same bed together If one of your rooms was too cold or if you had nightmares, but the platonic vibe was replaced by an awkward romantic kind of thing, not that you minded anyway.

A familiar fire of embarrassment made its way up to your face as you felt shouto gently put his hand on your jaw, and pulling your face up to him.